Fly Fishing Forum banner

Euro vs. Spey rods in the Great Lakes

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  pmflyfisher 
#1 ·
With everyone talking about Euro rods and there popularity within our Great Lakes region, what do you guys think of them vs. traditional spey rods? I personally like the faster action rods when fishing the surf, and on some larger rivers, but I feel that a more traditional, full flex rod would be a great tool if you want to take advantage of the rod through roll casts. Some of the "true" spey rods absorb shock better and would be great to play with for steelhead and salmon on smaller rivers in our region. I know sage and lamiglas offer more traditional action speys in 7wts and 8wts, ideal for the Great Lakes. So what do you guys think? :rolleyes:

#3 ·
rod....

I personally haven't used the St. Croix 13' 7/8 in the surf yet, and I don't know if I will. It is a great river rod, and would be a good choice for days with less wind. I like the faster action rods in the surf, but if you can punch line with the 7/8, then I would do so.

I just picked up a 12'6" 8wt with a fast action for the surf and smaller rivers!

#5 ·

Yeah, it is nice. Hopefully the east side rivers pick up soon.

Well, good luck!

#7 ·
I've also been wondering about this. Do you fish from the breakwalls of a harbor? Or do you wade a little out from the beach?

How do you find fish? Look for alewife, seagulls, etc??

Also, are you using just a single spey cast?

I guess this is akin to spey casting in the salt.

Neil

#8 ·
surf....

I favor the Euro rods in the surf as well. Surf fishing is alot more involved then river fishing, and depends on weather, wind, water surface temps, whether the run is on, the abscence or presence of baitfish, and etc. Flyfishing in the surf can be challenging, but if you find fish you will usually have them to yourself. It will require alot of walking usually, and targeting pierheads, creek mouths, deeper channels in the open water, and inlets. You often may find fish in one area at one time, and then they may be absent the next time. It requires alot of your own homework, and I will emphasize more later! :D

#9 ·
Good description Dan, yes it is much more complex than river fishing. Although the rewards can be great. Today I got skunked not a touch, thanks to the blue bird autumn weather we got today in western michigan. Oh well lots of spey casting practice was obtained on a beautiful autumn michigan beach and river.

There were a few fish around but the sun really put them down. on way back I stopped at a Indiana creek, and it was full of salmon and steelhead, was ready to go buy an indiana license. Pool had about ten chrome kings and steelies.:smokin:

Oh well the fish will be in the rivers now until next May, I will be back and get my share for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.