Fly Fishing Forum banner

abaco

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  JusBones 
#1 ·
Hello guys, thinking of planning a trip to Abaco next year and doing my research now. Can anyone recommend a good guide in the Marsh Harbor area? I'd like to do two days guided, one in the Marls and one more than likely north and try to hunt for big bones. I've read that O'Donald Macintosh is a great guide, but wanted to get people's thoughts.

Also, has anyone stayed at Treasure Cay? Wanted to know how it is?

Also, just any other general thoughts folks might have.

#7 ·
Marsh Harbour

Hi JTWG,
you probably have enough info by now, but just to let you know, I fished Abaco last May with Ronnie Sawyer (I believe he is Marty's brother) and found him to be excellent in a no-nosense, rough-around-the-edges sort of way. My buddy stayed at Treasure Cay before, but prefered Green Turtle Cay, so that's where we stayed and it was excellent. For flies, all we needed was size 4 (bead chain eye) and size 2 (5/16, and 3/8 dumbell eye) light tan bunny gotchas. Ronnie will let you know if your casting sucks, but will congratulate you if it improves.

The game on the Marls seemed to be to find large schools of fish to cast into. This method of course doesn't produce double digit results, but was effective for my buddy who's eyes aren't the best anymore. The fish on the town flats are larger and more warry and I blew shots at some nice tailing bones.

Hope to go back this May. I would gladly repeat the experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.