Fly Fishing Forum banner

How fast do they migrate?

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Jay C. 
#1 ·
I just read a post on a New York board and they have had our striped friends in their waters for the past couple of weeks in apparently catchable numbers. My question is can we determine when they will show here by knowing where they are now? ie how fast do they migrate?

Oh man I got it bad! I'm almost counting minutes.

#3 ·
With the mild winter, I'd say Sully's got his finger right on the jugular. This probably means an early smallmouth spawn in the north lakes and among other things - a bad tick season. Roll them socks over the pant cuffs if you're bushwacking without waders - Lyme's disease is a 'bug' in the same spirochete family as syphillus. Seemed the herring showed early as well, and the blue heron rookery on rte 2 in Thoreau's Concord MA was here at about the same time.

An old timer once told me that by the time the apple trees bloom the stripers are thick on the coast. Of course they are here before that but for any consistency the blossom rule is a good one. It also helps frame your intentions with your significant other - "look dear the trees are in bloom!".

#4 ·
ssully,

You're right that was self centered of me not to identify where "here" is. Just like a child, well that stands to reason since I'm feeling like a kid waiting for Christmas to get here.

Thanks for the dates. Are they based on past experience, migratory speed, or your GPS data?

#5 ·
Hi Gregg -

I guess we're all ready for some action on the coast... your ability to smell the ocean air must get you really wound up, eh?

I have thought about the Weakapaug blitz and the fish from hell several times as I waited for winter to go away. I'm sure you have too...

<center>

</center>

#6 ·
Greg,

"ssully,You're right that was self centered of me not to identify where "here" is. Just like a child, well that stands to reason since I'm feeling like a kid waiting for Christmas to get here."

I didn't mean it like that at all. I just couldn't remember your local. Plus I'm going stir crazy which kinda makes me feel like heading south soon.

I can't say first hand about the Cape & RI. Those dates are based on last years RT archieves. But PI are from my log book. Bet the farm on that one.

Juro,
From my experience the apple blossoms theory does hold true. If they have bloomed you've missed the first blitz. I love that "Gates of Hades" shot.

#7 ·
Gregg, Juro,
I keep that picture above on my office wall. Been there since the day after it went up on stripers101.com. Everyone who comes in my office asks: "is that you?" then I proceed to turn green and say "no it's just some lucky jerk named Gregg". It's an awesome shot really.

How fast to migrate? I (and a couple others here) will be migrating to RI in 2 weeks for a day of fishing.

BTW, Gregg- you busy May 6? Clavage on cape.

#8 ·
Terry,

That's cool I have made it to your office wall. That makes two walls that picture is on. The other shot with my brother was my wallpaper for a while, now it is the shot of the Race Point sunset from the outer limits clave.

It was funny you tell others that I'm a lucky jerk because my sister maintains that fishing is just a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other end.

As far as the 6th goes you can count my brother and me in. We thought we were going to be taking a boy scout troop rock climbing but the date was moved. We plan on getting an over sand permit for the national seashore and we can fit two more in the jeep if the outer limits is on the agenda.

Well the vice is calling. I think I need a couple more clousers.

#9 ·
Glad to have the Fabulous Estey Bros. along. We got one bunk just opened up with the Pocasset crew. Over the next 4 weeks we will work out a 2nd. We might get a slot or 2 at Juros too which would keep you 2 under the same roof. In case you haven't seen it the website for the clave is at:

<a href="http://www.stormloader.com/saltcast/SpringRun/SR1.html" target="_blank"><!--auto-->http://www.stormloader.com/saltcast/SpringRun/SR1.html</a><!--auto-->

Can't wait, we got a good crew going! If you want to get jazzed take a spin around <a href="http://www.stripers101.com" target="_blank"><!--auto-->http://www.stripers101.com</a><!--auto--> again.

Terry

#10 ·
Terry,

You had me confused talking about the 6th, I was like what's up April 6th, when it finally dawned on me that you were talking about the MAY 6th Clave!

Anyway this got me thinking about my Arbitrary call to check out RI on April 15th. The news stated yesterday that March was 4.6 degrees above average. So as far as RI goes, I'm free tomorrow, next weekend (the 8th), so the 15th is not etched in stone. I'm open to opinions and/or car-poolers! I got to get off my A$$ and get the boat ready, but I've been working on the house; I've got to install carpet today.

On another subject, my wife and are are thinking about a Cape cottage for this summer, but we are finding a lot of places already booked-up. But here's a couple we found:
(1) Saconsett Island, available Aug. 5, 12, 26, Sept. 2.
(2) Bass River, with a Boat Dock! available Aug. 26 only.
Any Opinions.

GregO

#11 ·
Greg, Al,

Re: Rhody, I'm still interested April 15th. But if you can't stand the reports coming in of schoolies arriving, and need to go for it next weekend instead, go for it. But the longer you wait the better the fishing

Anyone else interested in driving to Rhody from Boston area that weekend?

Greg,
As far as Bass River, I know things book up fast, but if you can wait till the Clave you will get a good idea of the area. The fishing is ok in the River but it's not remote like other locales. And depending on where you are on River it can be a long ride to the mouth at no wake speed. I would check for exact location. IF the cottage you are looking at is above Highbank Rd. bridge, it's a long ride out of schoolie only territory (mouth at W. Dennis).

G
#12 ·
I'm still in for the 15th. I have to seed my lawn on the 8th and possibly trek up to Maine as soon as that's done. I spent last weekend spreading loam, but I did manage to sneak away to the local pond for some casting practice. As a little tease for the upcoming arrival of the bass, I caught a 5 or 6 pound pickerel (sp??). Cut my thumb all to hell on those teeth getting the fly out of its mouth. I can only imagine how much worse it would have been had I not been fishing barbless!

Whoops! Just realized I'm posting to the saltwater board. Apologies for my poor etiquette

#13 ·
Terry/Al:

Finished remodeling the computer room & did my Lyme/fertilizer. But I should be able to make it to the 15th, if my methadone holds out. Terry, thanks for the Bass River info, I'm trying to get the exact address of the property currently. GregO

#16 ·
Sully,

Tell me about the GPS tracking you mentioned. Is this a tracking device that you obtained from the Mass F&W? Did you
stick the fish yourself? How do you know it's in New York area and how frequently can you tell where it is ?

I'm real curious about the process,

Jay C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.