Fly Fishing Forum banner

Australia Bonefishing - New Caledonia

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  ausflyflicker 
#1 ·
Hello,

Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice on an upcoming trip in early December I am planning to Australia.

Where are the best spots for golden trevally and bones in Australia?
I've heard alot about New Caledonia, an island about a four hour flight from Sydney, that the bones are big and plentiful, is this true, is it worth the effort to get there? I really couldn't find any good info on the web about it.

Also curious about the Gold Coast and any other solid oppurtunites anyone may know of.

Thank for any information in advance.

yos

#2 ·
Say Yos,

I've read lots of reprots of Golden Trevally in large numbers near Weipa on the Western coast of Cape York...remote area, but with a couple of fishing operations available.

For more information you might try Dan Blanton's bulletin board. He went there last year, and a number of the Aussie operators regularly monitor the board and post reports.

Wish you a great trip....lots of big fish to catch down there.

mark

#3 ·
Plenty to read about

I did a quick search and found plenty of sites that appear to have some good info.

Go to google and enter: New Caledonia + bonefish

Previous years fishing reports from January may be of interest. You should find some answers to your questions and more at the sites I uncovered.

Good luck and tight lines,
Greg.

#6 ·
Bonefish & Golden Trevally in Australia

fishardbc, the others are right about the Goldens, there's plenty of them at Weipa on the west coast of Cape York. This is a remote area with access by light plan from Cairns. Phil Philiskirk's tours took a mate out a couple of weeks back and it was awesome, but December may be getting a bit warm up there (it was 36Celcius every day in mid-September). There's GT's down near Fraser Island, about 2hrs north of Brisbane/Gold Coast. There's guided trips by a bloke name Sid Boshammer. As for bonefish, well you'll have more luck catching them in New Cal than here. No real records of numbers of bones caught here. As far as I know the bonefishing is all sewn up by a french guy in New Cal named Phillipe. He runs tours up there catching big ones - 8-10lbs are average. The website is fishinginternational.com/location/newcaledo.htm. If the url doesn't come through just email me I'll I'll send it. And if you're down Sydney way at any stage, give me a yell and I'll take you out after our local pelagics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.