Fly Fishing Forum banner

Newport!!

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·

click to view photo gallery

Well it's time once again to visit Peter Jenkins and the SWE gang again in the beautiful coastal Rhode Island town of Newport! This year Jenks has got the Marriott, which if I am not mistaken is this palacial party place:

http://www.marriott.com/epp/tour.asp?MarshaCode=PVDLW

I swear we get the server upgrade paid for and we will have this capability for all our favorite hotspots... well maybe just the well-known ones ;)

We're going to keep it simple with media presentations, a raffle for a single shadow box, and some tying at our table. I may have some signed striped bass etchings in frames for fund raisers, worth the price of the frame anyway :rolleyes:

It's always good to breathe the first hints of spring into the lungs in Newport each year. There is no snow down there and the early blooms are threatening to push up from the cold ground on the average late February weekend.

Let's show Pete our support by stopping by this weekend! See you there.

See less See more
#2 ·
Great to see Juro, Bill (Fishawk), Pete (Penguin), Fred (A), Case, Steve (Slinger) - did I forget anyone? Some real talented tying going on - including a couple of young enthusiasts who produced some very nice results under the Fishawks guidance.

Congrats to Fred on scoring the primo raffle prize :D

Special moment was a chance to see a collection of Kenney Abrames' original artwork including the paintings used to illustrate "A Perfect Fish" - simply stunning! Also some very creative tying by John Kelsey, doing some wicked looking prawns with emu feathers and Rich Murphy doing awesome stuff with a multiple-compound wrist fracture and his very cool "Silli-Skin".

Thanks Jenks and Saltwater Edge - you are a "CLASS ACT".

#3 ·
Couldn't agree more! Jenks, you are the man. Great time at the Marriott!

I thoroughly enjoyed the chance to witness the impressive tying talent that the northeast boasts... the roster listed on http://saltwateredge.com tells it all! With all that talent around me I was hoping some would rub off on me :smokin:

I'll put up some photos from this event which was by the way was done up in the usual top notch manner we've come to expect from Peter.

We did our share by once again having someone tie their first fly at our table, the smile on the young angler's face was priceless. Good job FishHawk, you've passed the torch. Thank you Adrian for your usual helpful spirit and those GP's will be an important element in the fly raffles out in the pacific northwest. It was great to meet Brian's wife as well, and between lucky Brian and lucky Fred :eyecrazy: there's some real winning karma in the ranks! Jay, that decoy carving was nothing short of amazing, and I can't wait to see the finished product.

Well the breath of early spring bit was a little far fetched this year, as you can see by the picture I took near dusk today (see banner above). It's still a winter wonderland, but the sun is strong and the light doesn't leave the day until dinnertime. I still maintain that the SWE show is the turning point in the winter, and it's all positive yardage toward spring from here!

Look for the slide show...

#4 ·
Reel recomendations

Now that Fred A has a brand new, shiny, spiffy, gleaming new top of the line rod I think he needs some help with recomendations on a new reel purchase. Oh, maybe not! I just heard that he plans to win the reel raffle at the Wilmington show.:D

#5 ·
Nice time in Newport. I like that show - you don't get the sensory overload of Marlboro or Wilmington. Have to agree, that the Saltwater Edge is a class act.

And I walked away with a fine new fishin tool. I've apparently found a lucky charm with John (Mr. Basser) around. It seems I always win a raffle when in his presence.

Great seeing Fishawk, Adrian, Pete, Case, Steve, John and Juro.

What do you think the neighbors will say if I go out on the back lawn, covered by a foot+ of snow, and check out the action of my prize?

#6 ·
Well at least you don't have to worry about ruining the line on the snow. The Bears Den will be offering replacement lines as part of their raffle at their show on the 19th. I plan to be there so you will probably win:hehe:

#7 ·
Had a great time at the show. Good to see Adrian, Pete Grey, John, Fred, Broadbill and help Juro with the booth. Hope I didn't forget anyone. Picked up some valuable tips from Capt Jim Ellis on fishing the flats. wish I could make the tying clave. FishHawk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.