Fly Fishing Forum banner

Newport RI - Brenton Reef

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  RayStachelek 
#1 · (Edited)
Headed out just after sunrise to Newport to Brenton Reef area to see if I could find
and catch some tuna's. Was going to go saturday, But I was given the option for Sunday and
took it being a slightly better forcast. It was my first and probably last trip to Newport
trailering a boat.

I found the roads in rough shape in areas reduced to one lane due to parked cars. Also narrow and jammed with traffic on the way back. Some people venting their frustation of gridlocked traffic by swearing at the mere sight of truck with a boat and trailer. Traffic was at best a few car lengths a minute in numberous areas. Probably alittle worse than usual with all the kids returning to school and the holiday weekend. It wasn't till about a half hour later when you hit a fourlane road like 114 or 138 that things started moving at a resonable pace.

The Fort adams ramp was ok I guess. If you don't mind limited parking or that you had to park
your boat in the rocks if you had no one to help you. I was also lucky to get the last parking space. I will definately use a ramp else where further up the narragansett or if weather permits the boat ramp by Horseneck beach, or Maybe Point
Judith in the future.

At least the fishing was active with blitzing bluefish on the way out and on the way in.
Bluefish blitzes would form in few minutes and breaking up just as fast. The birds helped
alot in finding the fish as it was pretty rough to see anything in the water. Water wasn't
rough if you were in the sheltered Narragansett. But out by the reef area with a 20knot wind
I found some waves to be easily 8-10 footers making for a pretty wet and bouncing day on the
water.

I was lucky enough to be around a couple of blitzes that weren't broken up immediately by a
guy who ran at full speed into the middle of the blitz then looked around seemingly surprized
that the fish were all gone. He wasn't sure whether to start driving to the next blitz or cast . :hehe:

What a unique sound to hear all those fish feeding and slapping the water. Caught my largest
bluefish on a silverside colored clouser fly without any wire. Was lucky enough to catch him
in the corner of the mouth.

Didn't see a tuna caught or in the water. But the bluefish made for an exciting trip today.

Tight lines,
Greg.

See less See more
#3 ·
It is incredible.

Hi John, Yes it is incredible the number of blues around. It's sounds like you found a huge school as well in Chatham. I've seen more this year than any in the past so far. Some huge clouds of bait around as well, But with the enormous blitzes I can see how they get trimmed down to size. Man they can tear it up.

I saw a facinating video of tuna feeding on a bait ball till there was nothing left. It was on the discovery channel, Not to long ago. I'm sure it will reply again certainly worth watching if you get the chance.

Greg.

#4 · (Edited)
Greg -

Next time check out Weaver Cove boat ramp. Located in Middletown at Melville, it is about four miles south of Newport Bridge. Plenty of parking. As you have found out, the main reason I try not to launch in Newport is the traffic and street parking.

Weaver gives you great access to Newport's ocean waters plus the mid bay islands too. Steep ramp, 4 x4 recommended, but it has a dock. No protection on windy days though.

Here's what we call on board. a "Polish fire drill." That's four hook-ups with three people fishing and trying to figure out what to do with the other rod.

#5 ·
Thanks for the tip Ray, I knew there had to be something better than Newport's boat ramp offerings. I'll check out the Weaver Cove ramp sometime. I'm still trying to learn the best ramps to use for fishing around there.

It's nice to find good access to the water. Seems that good boat launching ramps with docks are in short supply in many areas.

Thanks,
Greg.

#6 ·
Ray, Get Back to School

Hay Ray, What's going on? You talk Striblue into coming down to RI Fishing, and I don't see that you signed up. You have got to get bluefish out of your mind and catch some F/A.:eyecrazy: All we have got to do is to get Penguin off the Cape for a day or two.:D

#7 ·
Getting Striblue down here in RI is like the Massachusetts Governor paying more for janitorial services.

I haven't signed up yet for the clave. Have one trip booked. Don't know about the other day just yet. Will do my best to see my Bugaboo buddies.

Is Penguin allowed to cross the canal? He's flightless, you know.

My Rhody record stands.....One cast...one bonito.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.