Fly Fishing Forum banner

Newport 8/30/07

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  JimW 
#1 ·
Well I heard that Newport had gotten a slug of new tunoids this week so I headed up yesterday with my buddy Derrick. We launched out of Pt. Judith at 0530 and saw Sean McDermott at the ramp. We all headed out to a beautiful sunrise and huge schools of breaking fish.

Most of them were teethy critters and not what we were after so we pressed on. All the way over to the Newport area we ran across schools of surface feeding fish but none seemed to be the target species. We got over to Lands End and found sporadic schools of Albies and teeth. We ended up catching 6-8 Albies on both spin and fly and although there were many schools of fish feeding all over they were difficult to approach and get shots at. At one point we drifted over a pot buoy close to shore and when we got hungup on the buoy I looked over the transom and saw these little critters.

I rerigged the flyrod with a small clouser and sight fished them. After only 2-3 casts I got this one to take the fly. What a cool fish these Triggerfish are. They would make this very unusual clicking snapping noise when we handled them with their mouths. I think they were doing something with the crushers in the back of their throats to make the sound obviously being nervous. We released them to return to their tropical climates although I am told that they are fine table fare. Not a bad day of fishing but the numbers were a bit disappointing. Nice day on the water with great company and a few surprises.

See less See more
#4 ·
Juro, the triggers are common in RI at this time of year. I've seen much bigger ones while snorkling. They are one of the migratory tropicals like the rudder fish, jacks etc.
I also frequently find true tropicals such as damsalfish and butterflyfish which are not migratory. They are carried here as pelagic eggs or larvae in the Gulf stream. Although they survive and grow for awhile while the water is warm, they have no way to return to the tropics and will die when the water cools down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.