Fly Fishing Forum banner

bumblebee dry fly

9K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Limpe 
#1 ·
does anyone have or know where i can get a bumblebee patern fly. i had a few last season and after our recent move i have misplaced them. they seemed to work very well for brookies last spring. i have looked all over for one and cant find one that i can buy locally. thanks

nate

#2 ·
Here is the recipe for the "McGinty" from an old book of patterns.
Black Thread
Tail: Crimson hackle and Barred teal fibres mixed
Body: Alternating bands of black and yellow chenille, two bands of each color with black starting at the back
Hackle: Brown, tied as a throat
Wings: White tipped mallard secondary tied "tent" style. (P.S. I often substitute with white tipped e.g. well bleached, deer body hair wing)

You can also try spun deer hair body with alternating black and yellow

#4 ·
New2, do a web search for "McGinty Fly" I found several sites with good instructions and pictures. This is an easy pattern to tie and a good "learning" pattern as well. Materials are easy to get and even the "ugly" ones will catch fish!

#5 ·
Hi, I'd have to say that my fav trout fly would be this nymph i dont even know what it's called it was this simple fly with a brown tapered body and some plane white hackel for a collar first cast and boom I must have couht 5 in 10 minutes time I've tied many like it now they all work great just a simple fly with great skill. :biggrin:

#10 ·

This is the pattern Johan refers to.
I made a simple step by step tying sequence for my fellow dutch tyers, i used "common" materials so everybody could tie one.
People like to modify them, although with my pattern and use of materials it's easy to tie, you could of course spend hours on perfecting this patterns, make more realistic antennae's, legs and wings.

I used it one day in search of a high floating pattern, it seems to work well on the species we most common find here on small streams (although there's a certain time of year they work best :p ), so far it brought me a lot of fish, also some trout and in Norway even a grayling.
The original pattern was featured in the English Flyfishing and Flytying magazine, i made the tying sequence a lot easier.

Materials used;
Hook, bend model, size 8 to 12, Insect foam, (rainys www rainysflies com) got some foam bodies), 25/00 nylon, black foam, hacklefeather (hen will do just fine, will give some more action on the surface) and some polywing (polypropylene), or use 2 hackle feathers to form some wings.

Cut a small v-shape out of the foam body, insert a needle diagonal trough the body , and insert a piece of nylon trough this hole, a small drop of superglue will hold the v-shaped flanks together and seal the nylon.
Use a lighter to quickly heat the butt of the body and roll it between your finger to create a rounded "butt".
Image number 4

Image number 5
Tie the nylon onto the hook in a way that the body is flush with the surface it'll be floating on, also one of the reasons for using a sedge model or short bent hook.
Tie in a hackle feather...

Image number 6
Hackle the feather and tie in a small strip of black foam, the ends of the foam can be quickly heated in a lighter flame, round of the edges.
You could make some more body segments by trapping some more foam.

image number 7
Tie in a strip of polywing to form "wings".
next step is to create a "head" with the black foam, just double the foam and secure it just before the "wings".
Image number 8

Use round rubber to form antennae's, or some tiny, long hackle feathers..

Go create your own...
Fish them on moist, warm days, make some movement on the water, i'm pretty postive you'll catch some....

After presenting this easy pattern i got a lot of response from fishermen, they really do catch fish, like Johan who was the proud catcher of a fine trout in our "public" reservoir called Oostvoorne, situated in the Southwest of our small country..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.