Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sea-Run Brown Trout advice

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  FishHawk 
#1 ·
So I may go out this weekend (or next depending on the weather) to aim for some SRBT. I figure I'll tie up some small clousers for the job, but not really sure of the correct size hook. any ideas? any other flies I should try at this time of year?

#2 ·
Not sure about Sea Trout in the USA in Europe we use pretty small flies size 8 trout hooks dressed slim and flashy.Much smaller than those used for Bass etc.
Heres a very interesting article from Orkney Scotland hope its OK to post no ads.

http://www.orkneytroutfishing.co.uk/fishing/f_seatrout.html

Also google "Danish sea trout flies" for flies and tactics the SRBT fishery in the Baltic is years in front .

Good luck Colin

#3 ·
SEA RUNS.

I've caught my share of sea runs over the years mostly as a bycatch when flyfishing for stripers in early spring,I've caught them using 1/0 sandeel flies and shrimp patterns,down to long shank 6's and 4's.I took a nice 4lb plus out of the canal last fall on a spey rod.I'm not much on clousers,I'd rather use split shot on my leader or a short section of t-14 or lead core.Sea run browns are 99.9% hatchery trout,fish for them like fresh water brown trout,they like a hardy meal.:hihi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.