Fly Fishing Forum banner

Shrimp and bait fish group

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Doc Duprey 
#1 · (Edited)
These are tyed with the new Verivas hooks. I have also used burnt mono for the eyes,marked with black markers and dipped in epoxy... slightly oversized.... so they stare back....

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Shrimp and baitfish group

Absolutely magnificent flies! Can you share with us how you did the shrimp? They look a lot like Bob Popovic's pattern but seem more translucent. Or is that an artifact of the photography? Any advice would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Doc

#3 ·
Doc, they are tied like Popovics method.. I just changed the eyes as mentioned and put two or three red superhair strands inside to represent vitals.. It is not the photo.. the body is completely epoxied...but the top portion is held up above the shank as the first coat of epoxy drys to give it enhanced Transparency.

#4 ·
Shrimp and baitfish group

Thank you, sir! They are great looking flies, and the touch of red really adds to the overall impression of life. I haven't tied them in a while, but will do so perhaps tonight.

Hope you will be fishing and not just painting soon!

Best regards,

-Doc

#6 ·
Hal.... I have no Web site but if you see Poplovics book, he does go thought ir... I advise you to start on a streamer by putting a thin coat at first while you rotate the fly. Rotating is the major key to an even all around look. The epoxy will naturally set evenly 360 degrees. A thin coating will not drip that much and will fill in the fibers. It will have that rough look, not smooth. that's ok... do another coating and rotate the fly on your vice, as long as you have the rotary.. I use 5 minute epoxy which may yellow after a while, but that will not matter to the fish. let each coat dry... then do another coat or as many as you think you will need to get the size body you want... The first coat is important because that will be the shape of the fly.. I will sometimes but my first coat on ,very thin and no drip, I will then grab the back of the material and hold it in the place I want it to set. .. so if I want the shank to show, if I put mylar around it ,I will hold the hairs up slightly... like the shrimp patterns.. after it sets you can do your final smooth applications... Practically speaking most flys will not use more that three coatings... after ,say your second coat... draw in your red gill if you want... the next coat will lock it in. practice.. Finally, use your bodkin to mix and apply the epoxy.

#7 ·
Two more tricks Bob showed me (both also in his book):

1) Use small pads of Post-It type notes for mixing the epoxy. Once it sets, you just peel off the top sheet and throw it aaway. No mess!

2) Stick a copper pot-scrubber pad in a 35 mm film can and push your dubbing needle into it to clean off the epoxy after it dries. Works great!

Bob Popovics is one of the most creative guys I have ever met in fly tying. He's always coming up with good ideas, both great and small. I notice though that the caliber of creativity shown on this board is right up there with him. Following along is like taking a graduate-level course in fly design, tying and fishing. Many thanks!

-Doc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.