Fly Fishing Forum banner

Orange and Guinea Sauk River Shrimp

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
Hey Ted,

Here is a SRS tied up with Guinea. I do not use orange flies all that much but I like the looks of this one.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Red Body and Orange Guinea

Sean - How about a red body and orange died guinea. That should approximate the original with more motion.

Also, your purple with blue died Guinea whould be good.

#6 ·
Greta looking flies Sean.
My first ever Sauk Steelie was caught on a comparable Orange SRS tied by my then guide John Farrar. I still have one of them in my box.
Keep them coming so I can tie up some patterns for my next visit this coming March/April (I hope).

#7 ·
Sean,

When you know you made the head too big and appologize for it, it is a sign that you are becoming a very skilled tyer; otherwise you wouldn't care. Also, repeat after me, "I will never succomb to INTRUDER MADNESS".

Ted,

I've seen Alec tie it with red body and orange dyed guinea hackle, it is a very nice fly with a lot of bulk (actually illusion of bulk).

And for those of you who don't feel up to tying Alec's ostrich herl chenile, you can use regular chenile in the same color with no change in effectiveness of the fly. As Alec says, "I wish my special ostrich herl rope was more effective than regular chenile; but it is not. I just like to tie it with the ostrich."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.