3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  natrix 
#1 ·
A bigger experiment in black & blue

Natrix

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Natrix,

I like the color combo. Good proportions and nicely tied tag and wing.

The spey hackle seems a bit too dense though. If you strip one side of it the fly would ballance better and be more spey-like.

I would also add a black face or throat hackle to the fly to ballance the blue. This could either be a spey feather or black dyed mallard (my favorite for colored face hackles). In fact, a natural guinea feather as a face hackle would ballance the grizzly wing and make the fly look of a whole.

#3 ·
Flytyer

What this is, is a kind of a short GP, it wasnt intended to be a spey. Its got a series of three phesant rump feathers on the dorsal portion of the fly, which you cant see in the photo because of the grisly hackle feather horn. It also looks a little ratty because its been for a swim and then smashed in a fly box and left to dry.

Natrix

#4 ·
OK, that one of the pheasant feathers is probably what looks like a shadow at the end of the fly above the hook bend and extending beyond it. I still think a black face hackle would help to ballance and tie the fly together. Also, I would shorten the grizzly hackle tip horn to 1/2 the size you have used because the are a very prominant visual aspect of the fly as it is now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.