Fly Fishing Forum banner

My Go To Fly

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  fredaevans 
#1 ·
This is my go to fly for Steelhead and Salmon. I came up with this fly in the early 80s while spending a summer on the Deschutes. The spin fisherman were catching fish that I wasnt so I wanted a fly that would wake those sukling fish up. That year I lost track of the Steelhead I caught on it. Somewhere over 70.I have fished it all over the PNW in the last 20 odd years. Tie one on I think you will like it.
I appologize for the quality of the picture.I tried it with my digital and I am a newby with a digital camera.

Tail gold and silver flashabou
Butt red floss
body silver flashabou over wraped with gold tinsel. Coat the flashabou with clear nail polish for durability.
Hackle, Purple long webby
Wing orange calf tail with red calf tail on top.

If you need any more info just dorp me an email.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I tried blue, black, orange, red. I even tried a mix of each. Then I fished them together and moved the fly that the fish liked best to the point. I also tried crystal flash in different colors in the wing. The fly as it is seemed to be what the fish preferrred. The blue and purple together seemed to be the second best choice. The Rouge fish liked the combo. I spent a couple of years in Brookings hauling logs and fished the Rouge a fair bit. The blue I used was a light blue. This year I am tying it on the Alec Jackson Steelhead Irons hooks. Dont know that the fish care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.