Fly Fishing Forum banner

OK, what gives???

4K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Chris 
#1 ·
The trout fisherman is clearly the most populus type of fisherman on this board, but yet...

all the blabbing is being done in the Salt-water categories...

What gives?

Am I the only talkative trout fisherman? Are you all waiting for my next fly or trip to post? (could be a while...):(

Speak up Trout Bums, SPEAK UP!

#2 ·
We are here. Just waiting for the pictures to come back of my 26" 7 pounder I got over the weekend. Not an east coast trout report but I will do my best to keep the washington trout reports coming in.

However 90% of this board are either striper guys and/or steelhead guys. And 99.9% of them are completely focused on those fisheries. Cannot say I blame them either. Big bad fish in the salt and chrome steelies in the river will make one forget about trout real quick. Not a bad thing and we just need more guys like yourself who are trout bums to get the trout board going. My trout season goes from late april to late June and then I switch over to coho in the salt and stay on the beach until the end of September. Hard to keep on the trout when you know a 10 pound + coho is waiting for you just down the street from your house...

I for one am enjoying your reports and hope you keep it up. Will get my report in in the next few days. Will get some fly patterns up as well.

-sean

#3 ·
Sounds good Sean.

As for me, 99.9% of my fishing is FOR trout, although that may not be all I catch.

I go from opening day, late April, to close of the season October 15th.

All I have is light, freshwater tackle so the urge to get out on the salt is curbed quite quickly by the lack of the toys needed.

When you come to this neck of the woods, let me know. We can go get 'em!

#4 ·
Stone, I do my share of trout fishing here in Connecticut, but it's not the type of fishing that I do exclusively. If I go out and have a good evening or catch a nice fish on a swap fly, I'll post about it, but my fishing time is mostly spent either on the coast or in some warmwater ponds and rivers pursuing other species. Variety is the spice in my flyfishing life! ;)

I can't rightfully be called a trout bum, but I have been called a fishing bum on many occasions. :)

I agree with Sean that you should continue to share with the rest of us, and I'll try to do my part to make more posts when I hit the local trout streams. It's a tough job, but some of us have to do it. :hehe:

#5 ·
Ok you're pulling out a lurker. I've been watching this board for a while and just not active.

I pretty much just fly fish for trout. An occassional trip allows for some salmon and steelhead. I fish year round and most everyday from mid-April till September. I fish all types of water from small backwoods beaver ponds, high alpine tarns to rivers like the Colorado and Arkansas.

I'll start posting up here though and get some pics of my area. Got some good pics this weekend - My wife caught her smallest fish (a 2in brook) and her largest brown (23in).

#6 ·
Welcome aboard colotrout! I look forward to seeing images of flyfishing the rockies. Gorgeous country, been out there a few times on business.

Maybe we ought to start a trout anglers journal or an on-line clinic or something like that. There are so many techniques involved with trout fishing it could be exciting and very informative.

Your thoughts and ideas are welcome.

#7 ·
Actually lots of very good trout fishing here in the Medford, Or

area in 'high' mountain lakes and just below the damn on the upper Rogue. That section is called the "Holy Waters" for a vervy good reason. All C and R, barbless hooks, fly gear only (no spinning rods with a bubble), etc.

Hundreds of trout in the 10-16 inch range with a considerable number running in to several pounds. For me, I find that when the dam release is over 1500 cfs (like now with a HUGE cadis hatch going on) it can be almost too easy. Below this and I'm clue-less on how to get the buggers attention.

If I'm not targeting steelhead, or as now the Spring Kings, in the main river, I always have a 11'3" Redington 6wt in the car. Make for a wonderful 'diversion' ...... when you're getting skunked in the main river.:devil:

Fairly steep bank on one side and the other is a huge park with easy wading from shore so very pleasent to fish, Poochie loves it as she can chase the ducks/Geese (and get a well needed bath!) so fun all around place to be.
Fred

#8 ·
Stone,

Agree, don't know where all the trout fisherman are, maybe they are just the silent type, etc.. Was one for the first 18 years of FF back east, since moving to the upper mid west the steelhead and salmon FF obsession has taken over. Thats been the last 23 years. Do a little trout fishing now each year but it is mainly all steelhead with some small mouth bass once in a while. When fishing for steelhead there are also lots of trout in these rivers which we catch while fishing for the steelies.

Just hard to switch to trout when you think there may even be a low chance of some steelhead being in the same river you are fishing. They just get into your mind and blood these dam magnificent buggers.

If there were not steelhead available in the rivers and lake michigan river mouths 12 months a year I would be fishing for trout since there is excellent trout fishing in Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan all within a 4-5 hour drive or less of my home in Chicago. Actually there is some great small stream trout fishing 1-2 hours from here.

Keep posting your reports, used to fish some of the NH rivers and ponds when I lived out east. But no expert on those waters by any means.

#9 ·
White water rafter?

Hal:

We've been washed out here in Arkansas since March. May not have lower water untill July they are saying now. I think we got all the water that the Rockies and the Eastern states needed. If it will make you guys feel better I'll post a couple of pics from my last trip.

John

Attachments

#12 ·
Hi colotrout, it was only a matter of time that I got some company from CO on this board. I live on the front range and try to fish as much as possible. There is so much water out here and so little time. The guys on this board are striper fanatics so most of the posts end up over there. So far there is no Kanola if you know what I mean. I missed the caddis on the Ark this year did you make it? I have been having some luck the last few weeks the fishing seems to have really picked up. How did you get your wife into fishing, I am still trying.

#13 ·
Nice Fish - and River!

I spent 90% of last year on the brooks and rivers getting skunked, so I am sticking to the trout ponds this year and get my confidence up.

Got a GREAT book for it too... if any of you yokels are interested, or if you are planning a trip over, it is a MUST HAVE for the trout fisherman...

The Atlas of New Hampshire Trout Ponds by Northern Cartographic.
2nd Edition Copyright 1994 ISBN 0-944187-33-1.

Gives general, but accurate directions to about 500-600 ponds and has depth charts for the major bodies of water:
Big Diamond Pond
Big Squam Lake
Little Squam Lake
First, Second and Third Connecticut Lake's
Greenough Pond
Lake Francis
Lake Tarleton
South Pond
Stinson Lake
Bow Lake
Crystal Lake
Dan Hole Pond
Granite Lake
Great East Lake
Lake Sunapee
Lake Winnipesaukee (yes, ALL OF IT! - covers 3 pages!)
Mascoma Lake
Merrymeeting Lake
Newfound Lake
Nubanusit Lake
Opechee Lake
Ossipee Lake
Pleasant Lake
Silver Lake(both the lake in Madison and Harrisville/Nelson)
Swanzey Lake
Waukewan Lake
Winnisquam Lake

Quite a few, eh?

#14 ·
Stone, My situation is much like Dblhauls. I get out trout fishing when I can, but an honest answer is that I spend more time on the warmwater front, and some on stripers. You probably won't find many trout reports from me since kids, work, and home have really cut into the fishing time the last couple of years.

#16 ·
Brad, Got to hit the caddis a few times on the Ark but its been fishing better this past week than earlier. The caddis have moved above Salida and BWO's are coming out on cloudy days. The hatch is about to Browns Canyon, so you haven't missed it all. The roaring fork is really alive now. The mothers day caddis are in full swing if you get the chance to get over there.

My wife is an outdoors person and enjoys being outside doing anything. Luckily living where we do most of our friends fly fish, so she had to hear about it all the time. I eased into the fishing though. She would come on the float trips, so eventually she wanted try fishing. One of the keys was to get her a lesson from someone else and I wasn't there. After that she wanted a rod and now she is always along. It was easier to get her fishing than to get her bird hunting, but now she does it all.

#18 ·
I fish mostly trout,but since I had my fall. I seem to spend all of my time in front of this computer. Doc say not to do ant thing for at least 4 weeks. So when the 1st of June hits I will be out stream fishing. Boy, I sure hope I don't fall any more. Just can't stand the pain of not being able to go fishing.
Jim

#19 ·
I don't usually target trout but always enjoy it when I catch one. It's like an unexpected treat. I guess the main "problem" (for lack of a better term) is that I only seem to catch the cookie-cutter, run-of-the-mill stocked trout, not the big holdovers (or natives!). If I could catch trout like the ones shown above it would certainly change my perspective! I know, I know -- size isn't everything. Still, I just can't get too excited about trying to catch a 12" trout that was raised in a cement bathtub.

There is some pretty good trout fishing in my area. We even have a couple of lakes that are designated as "trophy brown trout waters" and have special regulations for browns. I should do some research and put in some time to try to catch one of the big ones.

Q

#20 ·
I have spent 20 days on the Bow so far this year, plan to do another 80 between now and Dec.31. Being semi retire is sooo gooood!
Will fish the Crowsnest and the Elk soon and several local lakes for trout.
So, Stone, what do you & others think would be of interest in posts to the Trout Board?
Casting Techniques, eg. high stick nymphing? streamer techniques?
Leader selection for fly match?
Still water(lakes) Vs. moving water(river & stream) tips?
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.
Since fly selection become a very regional, if not loca issue, I have not included this.
Building the archive of Trout fly patterns is one of my goals so let's get some more patterns +pics up there!

#21 ·
Hey FrenchCreek, I was looking to see some more communication from the trout hunters in general.
Technique, fly choice is nice, and building that fly database is a GREAT idea, working on it!

Just good ole' run of the mill fish stories also are nice when you have a good day!

#22 ·
Stone,
Nice to hear a little more push on the cold water side of things. I do a lot of brookie fishing up this way. Also get a fair amount of L.L. salmon, brown and rainbow as well. I do a lot of striper fishing for variety as well. I live on the Kennebec which is a super fishery. If fished from one end to the other you can hit all of them.

Building the trout side of this site would be great and with more input we may be able to recruit more of the shops and guides for support. As it stands many of the shops I deal with aren't too enthusiastic because they see the hits directed toward the Steelies and stripers and don't see it as a good ad investment.

Perhaps if the trout board were moved to a higher position on the list it would help. While there are a lot of folks who fish the salt and P.N.W. I think that the greater numbers look to freestone streams for their fish.

I'll pose a request to Juro about maybe getting trout move up the board.

Keep it coming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.