Fly Fishing Forum banner

Flydoc, it's your big day...

3K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Happy Birthday! As Fishhawk would say, "I'll have a wee dram tonight to celebrate your day."

#5 ·
juro said:
SAY CHEESE!!!

Happy birthday
Limburger!!!
No really, thanks guys. I'm heading up to the folks' place on the North Shore tonight, and hoping to drag them to Salisbury Beach tomorrow for some fishin' (me and ?Dad) and beachin' (mom) action. I'll be back on the flatz next weekend- see y'all there!
Flycod....darn, that dyslexia's acting up again.....

#11 ·
Fred- you'll have to take me Bayside sometime and show me the ropes- I've yet to fish that side yet...
John and Warren- see ya next weekend....
Jim

P.S.- Warren- It's been so long, I forget- does the mouth of the 'Mack fish better on the incoming or the outgoing? Tomorrow it'll be incoming from 6 AM 'til noon, so I'll guess I'll find out one way or the other....

#15 ·
Bill- Thanks! I'll see you at the CAC this coming weekend.
Phil- unfortunately I'll be working those days- any chance you'll be around for the weekend, or will you be working those days?
Warren- Thanks for the tip, although as it turned out I got a very rude reminder yesterday as to why I stopped fishing the mouth of the 'Mack. Salisbury turned out to be a no go (they won't let you into the state preserve before 8 AM w/o a season pass), so I went to the northern end of Plum Island instead (basically right across the river from where I had planned on fishing Salisbury Beach). I showed up at about 7:30 AM with the incoming in full swing, and started fishing the rip upstream of some baitchuckers, with no luck but still plenty of room to manuver. I then moved to the jetty- again, a few baitchuckers but room to carve out a spot to cast, but still no luck. Then the floodwaters broke, and everybody and their grandparents started to show up, baitrods in hand. Some clowns set up immediately to my right, such that I had to move about 30 feet to my left to keep from hooking their rods/heads with my back cast (the wind from the east had picked up a bit, so I was having to use a sidearm cast/double haul to deal with the wind- have yet to learn cross body/lefty or backwards casting well enough to use in these situations- I was using the old 9 wt as I felt I needed to keep my single hander skills from fading into distant muscle memory). I eventually tired of the crowd and headed back home at the peak of high tide, so I never got a chance to fish the outgoing. Maybe when the beach season is over and the fall migration starts, I might try it again, but for now I think I'll stick with my "home turf" of the Cape. Today I'm going to do some scouting for the deer season, then a family cookout to cap the weekend. See ya next weekend!
Jim
P.S.- large swarms of sandeels at my feet, to the point where I inadvertently became a baitfisherman myself twice by hooking sandeels while retrieving my fly. With all that bait in close to shore, no wonder my flies got no attention....

#16 ·
Doc -

I used to hit that often because I work in Andover. Go at the bottom of the tide the fish back out of the estuary and hold in the trench just below the charter boats. The bait gets even more concentrated then and the fish like the fly right on the bottom when the current is running with most hits as the fly comes to the dropoff on the swing. At slack they like it stripped more actively. Once the flood begins the fish race back up river and it goes dead along that trench.

More schoolie abuse going on there in one day by the bait guys than I can stand to watch (swallowed hooks, kicking fish back with feet, dragging fish up to dry sand etc).

Many better areas around that region but a boat is key for consistent bigger fish action.

#17 ·
Doc,
Salisbury beach used to take money before 8AM. The way I hear it is some punks beat up the gate keeper & stole all the money early one day. The powers that be said screw it. No money exchanged 'till 8 am. You need a pass.

That place is a zoo on weekends during the day. You really need to go at night. Or a rainy mid week day. etc... Things will calm down again in September and the fishing will get better. It seems that the Bass have gone into the summer doldrums now according to my charter captain friend. They are still catching fish but it has slowed down some
With some planning we can arrange a boat trip if you like. I have lots of friends with boats... one in particular will go at the drop[ of the hat......:D

Juro is right about the trench by the charter boats. It has been a good producer for me this year. No big ones for me, lots of consistent schoolie action though.

#19 ·
Juro and Warren:
Ditto- spotted some gutted schoolie carcasses along the shoreline- enough to get my blood up to the point that when I spotted a father and son walking towards me from the direction of the jetty with one big fish and several smaller fish in tow, I was almost ready for a confrontation...until I noted the distinctive forked tail of the bluefish on all of the fish...kid had a nice 28+ inch blue hanging from his right hand.....gave him the "nice fish!" salute before continuing on the the jetty and my encounter with the rest of the baitchucker brigade.
That's why I love Monomoy so much...except for a few spincast guys, the birders, and the clammers, we pretty much have it all to ourselves:D
See ya this coming weekend!
Flydoc

#22 ·
Many thanks to our breathren from the old country....I was actually checking out a few of your sites (B.A.S.S., UKSWFF) this AM....saw plenty of pics of Stevo, and a couple with Silas and Mike O., but Jamie seems to be a bit camera-shy....wouldn't have thought so from that posh pose he put on at the CAC with the fez.....:D Looking forward to the next invasion- I'll have to plan some time off accordingly so I can witness the antics at the Squire firsthand.
Flydoc

#24 ·
:eek:
Really didn't need to see that.....thankfully you posted the link to those most excellent fishing pics to quickly get my mind off that horrific image....
Did find one pic with you on the BASS site- apparently taking in the doings at one of the annual meetings- you near the front row with ?Bincksie off to your left...
See y'all next year, if not sooner
Flydoc
P.S.- That little bloke with the ice cream mustache one of yours?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.