Fly Fishing Forum banner

Heading to Montana

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bonefishmon 
#1 ·
Hello! My girlfriend and I are heading to Western (and maybe Central) Montana this August. We've been wanting to fly fish in Montana for a long time. (The girlfriend loves A River Runs Through It, Brad Pitt, ect ect :roll: :) ) So anyway, we're looking on information of 'must hit' streams and rivers in that area, good spots along those rivers/streams, ect. Thanks!

#2 ·
Chris,

Based on the 12 years I lived in Montana, you can literally fish any river at any place it borders a road or there is a signed public access and catch fish. So, don't be in a hurry to try and sample everything Montana has to offer.

I would highly recommend you go to Yellowstone Park (it is well worth the visit) but instead of fishing in the park, simply go as a sightseeing tourist for a day and then sample the fishing in the southwest Montana rivers. The Gallatin, Madison, Jefferson, and Big Hole are all very accessible and very good fisheries. These rivers would give you a great sampling of the wonderful trout fishing in Montana.

If you want to fish in Yellowstone Park, the Madison, Firehole, and Gibbon are easily accessed. The Gibbon has the added advantage of having a very nice geyser basin and since it is far less popular than the Firehole Valley, it is easy to find solitude when fishing it. Avoid Buffalo Flats or the other areas on the Upper Yellowstone in the park because they are just overun with fishermen in August.

Having both the park rivers and the southwest Montana rivers available is why I recommend folks take a trip to southwest Montana. Plus, you will find very friendly people in the small towns (I mean small as in 200 residents or less in some) and the larger towns (which means around 1000 people for the most part). And you can easily take a side trip of a few hours to Virginia City and Nevada City, or Butte to see some of the history of gold, silver, and copper mining of the area.

#3 ·
August can be bruttally hot in MT! Brutal to the fish as well!! The first couple weeks all over the state can be slow due to high water temps.....they usually drop do to cooling nights in late August.
I second YNP! I'd leave the Firehole alone...too warm. The NE and NW sections of the park can fish good at that time. They are higher in elevation so the streams stay cooler. It's hard to beat a walk into the Lamar!
You might want to take a look at the Missouri, Rock Creek, Upper Madison,....and the others Flytyer mentioned as well.

A walk into an Alpine lake is also a great way to spend a day or two in MT at that time of year!

#5 ·
If she like River Runs Throught It and Brad Pitt.....a must stop is the Gallatin where the movie was filmed. Otherwise all great info above. One river not mentioned in the park which I really like is Slough Creek. It is challenging compared to most rivers in the park but has some real beauties in it.

have a great trip!

#6 ·
Google the tail race dams. Cooler water. A side trip out of Bozeman to the Missouri at Hauser Dam is not to be missed. Big fish territory. Bring a big net and small scuds. I'm sure some on this Forum would be happy to show you around. Once you are situated as to where your base camp will be, just ask. The Madison below Hebgen Lake gets busy but worth the visit. Slough Creek in the park is a must do stream also. Long walk but well worth it. You'll want to hit the upper creek to avoid the crowds.

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.