Fly Fishing Forum banner

What's in your fly box?

5K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  bruce.campo 
#1 ·
As a continuation of what Paxton began I thought if people showed us what flies they rely on most it would be of benefit to all. This is not meant to be a gallery of flies that can be displayed in shadow boxes, rather it should be the flies that catch fish, be they simple things or complex, let's see them and learn. There is an old tradition of secrecy about flies, I hope it's dead, there is absolutely no correlation between how many fish you catch and whether the guy down the way knows what fly you are using, but there is a possibility that you will catch more fish if you know what he's using, I hope you can follow that thought.

So here are a few of the flies that I pick from, since I'm mostly a daytime fisherman there isn't much flash. The sand eels, crab and flounder are weighted with wire and I add spit shot on the leader if needed.

See less See more
#4 ·
thanks so much for sharing. you guys have givin me some pause and re-consider the flies I'm going to use on the flats. I generally put flash on my flies as I'm either fishing at night or on the beach in rough surf. I think I need to re-consider my approach on the flats. I haven't had great success (OK, very LITTLE success) on the flats, even though I've seen fish and put some casts to them. I'm heading up June 8th-10th and just chomping at the bit to get on the flats. I'll post some pics too when I try some other options. thanks again. I REALLY need to meet you guys. I'd say the most informed and innovative tyers/fishers I've seen.

#8 ·
Pete,
Thanks tons, maybe we'll get few more on board now. BTW nice flies, you can ignore the shadow box comment!
Jon

#10 ·
FredA said:
Well I checked my chest pak to see what was in my box.

If Pete's are the seafood buffet mine are the busboy's delight!

I tried to capture the well stained patina of the chest pak but I don't have the foto skillz of youz guyz.
Looks like it just came from the Orvis store, maybe you can give us the order code?
JC

#14 · (Edited)
Bruce and Jim,
Thanks for putting up your flies, all really nice. Think you got enough there Jim, I'd be nervous! Anyway, great to see what you rely on, interesting to see the predominant colors. Can't wait to get on the water.
Jon

#15 ·
Jim...those are impressive and creative!!!!....like all of them, esp the 1st box - olive deer hair over olive hackle...interesting tie. Question: 2nd box...the 2 tan ones in upper left hand corner....sandeels or silversides or????? I do believe you are prepared...may the fish reward your obvious efforts and time!
Jon.......great thread!!!

Ron

#18 ·
I keep on admiring these flies.... good thing I don't know you guys or I'd be following each of you around like a lost puppy dog hoping you'd throw me a crumb of a fly... Excellent ties guys! I can see the difference fishing down here (NJ) vs. the flats up north. I need to re-think....

#19 ·
Bruce
sometimes the flats sandeels are pretty skinny. You look down and see the darker eyes first....then the camo body. Most times like a pencil thickness (or slightly less). I prefer less than more. (except come supper time! :razz: )

Out in the open ocean or CC bay...they can be like cigars... long and chunkier.

#21 ·
Bruce,
Here are my sand eels for scale. The one I use most of the time is the middle size, #4 hook and about 4.25", most of the time fish will eat it without hesitation. It's made of buucktail, slinky fiber and one or two saddle hackles, .020 lead sub wire under the floss body and UV acrylic to weld the thing together. Hope this helps.
Jon

#24 ·
Bruce
another thought is flats sandeels burrow in the sand. Something with lead eyes (hour glass or cone) will put the fly on the bottom and kick up puffs of sand. Or fish on a sinktip. :wink:

You will see guys "raking" sandeels for bait....kinda like clamming.

Ohh.... just a little flash...a strand or two. I prefer long thin hackles versus polar bear or bucktail.... just moves nicer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.