Fly Fishing Forum banner

Excellent sight conditions on the flats

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
this weekend - in fact I hauled 'em in :p

Learned a lot about clamming this year - quahogs, oysters, blue mussels and since November came around scallops. Only thing I didn't experience was softshells, maybe next year. It's not flyfishing but it's a nice complement during the off months or even off days in season. And the eating is incredible!

See less See more
#2 ·
It sure as heck is fly fishing. It's what got you to those flats in the first place. Sight fished Hickory Shad this morning. What a hoot when nothing else is going on. Mom nature eases us into winter slowing with other bits and morels. When most of the fish leave, there's always a shellfish to be had. Seems like just a month ago the kids were out there chucking chicken legs on a string to Blue Crabs. It all flew right by!

Phil

#4 ·
Pete...when fly fishing for scallops I have had great success using the "shallow butter stick" fly.
Juro's rules for success apply:
1. presense of scallops
2. mood (shells open)
3. presentation (strip, then hover buttter stick over the open shells)
4. fly...the butter stick (margarine although less expensive to tie, just doesn't cut it IMHO)
:chuckle:
Cripe...those make me hungry just looking at them!!!!

#5 ·
hahaa too funny Ron

Actually it was a comedy of errors - my first time ever for scallops. After what seemed like an eternity of wading around, I see something... hmmm is it? Could it be? IT IS!!! I am holding this thing thinking is it alive then it suddenly opens up and starts clapping it's shell, pissing out the sides making me drop it while the ebb current sweeps it away. Had to laugh out loud at myself.

Eventually I got it dialed in, it's not at all unlike sight fishing. There are the obvious scallops and then there are the cloaked mirage subspecies and I was finding both.

Then I had to clean them... :Eyecrazy: which was another fiasco, more clapping and pissing, but now I'm in the kitchen - and you can see how chopped up those scallops ended up.

By the second batch I knew what I was doing -
1) chill them down on ice or in a piss-proof container in the fridge (meaning does not allow them to squirt out the sides, open top with wet towel over), that quiets them down completely
2) use a cheap thin metal spoon instead of a knife for shucking because it matches the curvature of the inside shell and gets every scrap of that adductor

One things for sure... they are delicious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.