Fly Fishing Forum banner

Winter fishing.

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Was just wondering who is still getting out to do some winter fishing and how you are doing. My biggest problem has been finding open water to fish. The recent cold spells in western New York have left many of my favorite trib’s locked in ice.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Winter Fishing

Charlie,

Like you, I've found pockets here and there but nothing open for long runs.
The last couple of days the warmer temps have opened some runs abit but I don't expect that to last for long, I suspect January will close things down pretty good.

Looks like you are taking advantage of what is open! Nice looking fish. I haven't done very well catching any fish, but do enjoy the crowd free waters!

Fish safe, watch out for any ice coming downstream, it could ruin your day!

Merry Christmas!

Jim T

#4 ·
Charlie -

Around my neck of the woods there is some brood stock salmon fishing in winter that has my attention because it's a spey casting venue and the fish pull real hard (up to 20#). Next warm spell (warm being a relative term) will have me giving it a try.

Some of the regulars here get out and do some winter trout fishing and I might give that a try with the 5wt.

This reminds me I've loaned out my cleats, need something to avoid the platform heel effect from snow on my felts.

#5 · (Edited)
Hey Charlie,

I was still out when the streams looked like your picture, on about the same size as pictured. Also fished in a couple near blizzards. :)

I liked it better..............no one out. I was able to hike the small streams as I like to do and fish all the runs I wanted.

I had a nice run were they were taking traditional Bucktail Streamers in sz 6. I was adding just a touch of flash-a-bou in the middle of the wing. Also used that new Gudebrod (spelling) holographic wrap for the body's. I have it in several colors and really like it for bucktails. The two most productive colors were Black over lt. purple with a few strands of grape flash a bou in-between and a lilac body. Along with Emerald Shiner colors. Fished on the small streams using a 9.5' rod, wf-f line and 9' - 10' leader with one or two size b or bb shot (un-weighted fly) it was quite enjoyable. Quartered up, dribble through, most takes were on the hang down in tail outs. Vert light............just suck it in. Some took it on the dribble.

Really enjoyable......................but, then the heavy ice came. :(

#6 ·
yo charlie

got out yesterday afternoon. i fished some of my usual places swinging intruders. no takers. either no one was home or they didn't like what i had on the menu. i am fortunate to have some good stretches of water that stay ice free (most of the time). was nice to get out and air out some casts.

gary

#7 ·
This warm spell should help out a bit. It’s in the low 40’s in WNY today. If the run off isn’t to bad we should be in good shape for the New Year. And even if the water is high, get out the big intruders like Gary said, those are the best high water flies going.

Juro,

You really need to get a pair of the studded aquastealth boots like you talked about on the other thread. Those things are great. And like JimT said fish safe, it’s harder getting up when you take a tumble in sub 40-degree water. :devil:

Charlie.

P.S. h2o, did you ever look into getting a spey rod? Just interested is all.

#8 ·
We were on the Salmon r iver (Pulaski)12/12-15, right during that cold spell. -16 Tuesday morning, and -11 Wed. Still, we caught fish. I went 7 hooked and 3 landed for 3 days fishing. It was a technical challenge, but it's amazing gear as gotten so good that one can actually fish at such low temps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.