Fly Fishing Forum banner

"Classic" Intruders

7K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
My wife and I spent the last few days before going back to school at Birch Bay (near Blaine WA) relaxing in the sun. My total expenditure of energy involved digging clams and tying Intruders. Here is the haul of bugs...

#2 ·
Double Wow! You BC fellows have a knack for

pulling up old memories from my childhood. (For this you have to send me an intrud. in each colour :D ) Mom and lived in Twassan (sp?, too long ago) before it even had a name other than Boundry Bay.

Rember waiting for hot days to heat the sand and the tide to come in .... Ahhhhhhhh ... even at age 12. Walking the edge of the golf course (still there?) looking for lost golf balls. Also the closest I ever got to getting arrested. Some 'person' thought I, and another young man, were finding our 'lost' golf balls in the middle of the fairway.

Think being 12'ish, and a Canadian, kept me out a pot full of undeserved credit.

Was always interesting to watch the school buss from Boundry Bay crossing/re-crossing as it took the few kids from "the point" over to Whatcom county for school every day. We thought we had long hours ... childs play. These kids had (pre-freeway TC-1) shot at least 2+ hours per day just getting back and forth.

Anyway, great 'blast from the past;' now send the fly's.
:devil:

#3 ·
Fred,

I too grew up in Tsawwassen :whoa: - on the edge of that same golf course - Boundary Bay Golf Club - still there indeed - but quite private and expensive. The Lower Crossing to Point Roberts is now closed but the kids still bus to Blaine - now a 40 minute drive.

Oh, the tide still goes in and out and the flies are in the mail :rolleyes:

#4 ·
Tyler,

Vacation on the beach with your beautiful and gracious wife and you still had to tie Intruders! Repeat after me, "Intruders,not good, Intruders not good, Intruders very good".

See, what you've done to us! We are all getting "Intruder Madness" and it's only cure is to catch a steelhead.

#6 ·
Kush, an update and I may need a bit of help (I'll pm you)

"The Lower Crossing to Point Roberts is now closed ... "

Did they actually close the crossing point guard stations, or just do away with checking folks in/out of Point Roberts? Other than you were crossing an international boarder always missed the point of these crossing stations. Had my first 'illegal beer' in the old water hole in PR. Checking ID didn't appear to be too much an issue ... but that was then.
:>)

fae

#8 ·
Cross thread here for Tyler, and a note of great..

appreciation.

I won't give you the details, but this mans offer of family 'help' (in context we/I still have lots of family in Canada) made both Joanie and I give each other a hug. With a large amount of luck, she and I will be far better for "Kush's" help.

Many thanks!!!

jee/fae

#12 ·
Wet fly,

I'm not sure I get your point... is it that you can't catch fish on Intruders without a Skagit line? If so, then I've been dreaming. My long bellies do just fine. I think it is the light tips that Ed uses that are the point of importance with his flies. Sure the lines are cool, the casts themselves are efficient and effortless, I even have a line that Marlo gave me and occasionally I use it, but the bottom line is not how you cast Intruders - it is how you fish them.

Oh, maybe the most important point is that fish crush them :smokin:

#13 ·
BDOrchidGuy and SDHflyfisher,

Do a search of the steelhead and salmon fly archives and you will find Intruders. Also, Kush's post that started this discussion has a picture of some very nice Intruders, shich should allow you to see what they are.

Kush,

You know that we long liners don't know how to get our flies to the fish or cast efficiently.

#18 ·
Kush,

Couldn't find any copies of Fish and Fly so I'm heading down to Bothell to pick up 3 years of back issues. Figured it would be worth getting the whole shooting match instead of just Winter 2002 to read Ed Ward's article on the intruder. Didn't want it sent because I didn't want to wait. That's what doing a search on intruders got me and reading your posts. Acting like an addict already and haven't even tied one intruder yet. I called and they will have a package ready for me by Monday.

Matt

#20 ·
Russ I am still hanging in there. This winter I am going to fish the ally shrimp and a dark traditional squirrel wing wet pattern and thats it.

I just gotta get to the runs before the intruder guys cause they are either going to hook a fish or scare them to death:eyecrazy:

-sean

#25 ·
If you outlaw intruders, only outlaws will have intruders!

It is time we rebel against S.O.F.T. (Steelheaders who Only Fish Tubes) and their Intruder conspiracy and return to the days when a nice normal sized prawn pattern worked wonders. Black Scampi anyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.