Fly Fishing Forum banner

William Joseph Flats Lite fanny pack?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Moose 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if this small fanny pack will fit a C&F waterproof fly box (the larger models)?

Thanks in advance,
Preston

#3 ·
Oh....

Juro,

You bring up a good point. Never thought about it. I'm new to the flats (going to Eleuthera in March). My only experience was on Ascension Bay in Mexico and I never went deeper than my knees. However I was being guided with a boat...so I may have to wade deeper in Eleuthera (DIY).

Unfortunately there are no William Joseph dealers in Toronto anymore (we only have one dedicated fly shop) and they also don't carry C&F.

My other question was around a stripping basket getting in the way of a fanny pack.

I do already have a William Joseph Coast vest however I think it's overkill for the flats.

Was thinking about the over the one shoulder satchels to wear. That would seem to solve the stripping basket issue and getting wet issue. However, just wondering if weight on one shoulder is good for you long term.

Others please chime in.

Thanks,
Preston

#4 ·
Preston,

I used the Willian Joseph creel for about 1 season on the flats. I didn't find the single shoulder issue to be a problem at all but I didn't like having the small chest pack. I found it got in the way when fighting a fish. This was especially apparent when putting side pressure on the fish and reaching across my chest. If you don't mind chest packs you probably will like the creel. I still have one I don't use so if you are interested let me know. If you give me measurements of the box you are trying to fit I could also check that out.

Sean

#5 ·
I wear a vertical FC surf bag which comes with a shoulder strap and a belt loop. IfI use the belt loop I attach it to the belt of my stripping basket. Works real well if you don't wade too deep. If your going to wade deep use the shoulder strap. It holds as much as I need but nothing holds as much as I want.
Larry

#6 ·
Flats Lite

Yes it will - but it will take up the entire case. I fished with that pack for the last two years. I used the small CF Box, and could fit in line dressing, Lens Wipes, Finger Socks, and a tippet dispenser, plus a power bar or two. It offers great support with the built in support belt but it has very little little storgage space.

I discarded it this year for the Fishpond Sechelles- The bulky back support/belt simply took up two much room in my travel Bag.

Mike

#7 ·
I use the patagonia double haul which is not as good as the one I envision in my brain but it's pretty good for reality. It's a sling style with a very good front compartment albeit easy to over load because of it's multi-layered compartments. but that's my fault not theirs.

The back holds a water bladder, light rain jacket and lunch. The sling has to be properly adjusted for your build or it does not stay put well, once adusted it's fine - night and day.

It was yet another lost item in my drybox at boneclave :(

#8 ·
wrx_canoe said:
Unfortunately there are no William Joseph dealers in Toronto anymore (we only have one dedicated fly shop) and they also don't carry C&F.

Preston
Preston, Hope this is not construed as a commercial posting as I have avoided at all cost in doing that but I have to make a small correction. We in fact do carry a full line of C&F and are in the process of bringing in William Joseph.

Ramsay

#9 ·
I have one made by JW Outfitters (I think) and I always wear it. It is much more comfortable to wear on my belt that carrying a bunch of stuff in pockets, ets. It holds the large C&F saltwater box in the main compartment, 3 spools of tippet and some split shot in the small zippered pouch, extra leaders in a hidden slot behind the main compartment, a fly patch pinned to the lid of the main compartment. I have hemo's clipped to the side and a hanging clip opposite that which holds floatant, a hook hone, license holder, and I forget what all. Best thing, no vest, only 1 small extra box in the shirt pocket, no weight or clutter. I love mine, wear it year round.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.