Fly Fishing Forum banner

What goes in *YOUR* vest or chestpack?

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Roop 
#1 ·
I guess this all depends on what/where/who. I use both, the vest for sweetwater and chestpack for saltwater flyfishing or when rowing in rivers to keep the arms free.

For a chest pack, I prefer the type with compartments in front and back, although the back is a pain to reach it affords a lot of extra space I need. Ideally the rear compartment is removable. I like what Prof. Bodkin did with his new model - no metal zippers to corrode! I look forward to trying it out this summer. Right now I use the Riversmith model with front and rear compartments... very nice but the zippers are corroding badly from the salt.

Chestpack -

front compartment

line clipper on cord
Flybox
doll needle for nail knots
hook hone
common tippet spools
compass
whistle
energy bar

Rear Compartment:

extra spool w/ different line
extra line clipper
water
sunblock
bug lotion
small flashlight
small first aid
every leader diameter spool from 40# to 12# (Maxima)
extra flybox - out of the ordinary patterns
film

Seems like I am forgetting something...

See less See more
#2 ·
Shucks, been meaning to pickup a chestpack all winter and now here it is - crunch time. I really want to get rid of the backpack I've been using. I looked at the Bucks bag at Fishing the Cape this winter - just wasn't sure, opted to spend gift cert on Orvis stripping basket. Maybe I'll stop by there Friday and see what they got. What do I want to be able to carry:

couple of flyboxes
tippet material
spare spool
tools (pliers, clippers, knife, hook hone, etc.)
compact piece of raingear
2 bottles of water
1/2 a dozen nutri-grain bars

Any suggestions on a chest pack?

Fred A.

G
#3 ·
Hi Fred,

I don't know how much they've changed, but i've got the predecessor that i heard Bucks had copied, and like it for the salt. If you attach a couple of webbing straps to the shoulder straps in the back, you can lash on your rolled up raingear - you'll even forget that it's back there when it starts to rain :)

I'd suggest a couple of water bottle carriers that thread onto your wading belt - it's a nicer place to carry that kind of weight.

Here's an addition to your list Juro, that i carry in the back pouch - a small tupperware container for my wallet and the truck's remote control - never know when you're going to be in the suds.

While on the subject of raingear and suds, i've got a semi-dry top that has latex cuffs, a comfortable neoprene neck and a double waist with neoprene and tightening straps. If the tide has come in more than i thought, or i just think i might be in a dangerous situation, i'll don the top over my chest waders just in case i have to do some swimming. This is also when you'd want to be wearing slim neoprene boots!

Lastly, for any smokers out there, empty film cannisters are great for butts.

bill

#5 ·
I keep most of what you have Juro.. plus a boga in the back portion as well as a crunch Rain parker. But I keep my tools on a lanyard, which , according to the reponses to my thread question in the other thread , is not that popular.

#6 ·
FredA,
I picked up an orvis Chest pack for 49 bucks yesterday. It seems awesome and perfect for the stuff that I carry.

I know that Orvis is usually overpriced, but this seemed to be the most streamlined, yet large capacity I could find. All mesh on the back, so water drains when dumped. I can't wait to give it a whirl this weekend.

By the way, I carry the basics, plus I am looking into one of those hydration systems for the back part of this pack. Useful in the Dog Days on the Flats.

I also carry a spool of premade tippets that loop to loop to my butt section. Eliminates the need to make them in a hurry and botch a knot or two.

#8 ·
I guess that I think a little differently here as far as what I pack the stuff in. For freshwater I use a fanny pack most of the time. Contents are, fly boxes, a couple of extra leaders, 3-6X tippet spools, section of LC13 line, sinkers, mold on strike indicator, fly floatant. Tp in a ziplock bag, water proof matches, nail clippers, hemostats and bug repellant or sunscreen normally are in there as well. Sometimes a spare spool or other items are added

For the salt water I use a nylon purse made by Eastsport (~ $7-8 at sprawlmart). It has pretty much the same items as for freshwater, with the addition of tippets with pretied bimini loops, and a hook sharpener.

When more items are required, water, food, clothes, etc they end up in a back pack.

#9 ·
I think your box of Nutri grain bars would fit perfectly in back with a small jacket and some sunscreen/bug repellent ;-).

#10 ·
There was or still is a Bucks bag that I bought at the Orvis..Fishing the Cape a couple years ago which is very similar to the Orvis one in the picture.. Two chest sections and a back section... I think the configurations are perfect for fishing and great in hot weather. I think it cost around $50 bucks also.

#11 ·
In the front I carry my fly box, clippers on a cord, tippet spools, hook hone, compass, small flash light and other odds and ends. In the rear I carry water, a small first aid kit, water proof matches and a sandwich bag full of dryer lint. (it's a great fire starter). A small camping mirror, hand held flares(smoke) a whistle, a pocket knife,and some times a little nosh. I also attach a pair of medical shears to the strap of my vest. They cut through just about anything. It may seem like a lot of stuff, but I've been stuck out in the middle of no where before. Some of this stuff has come in pretty handy.

Jimmy

#12 ·
it's been many moons since i used the thing (new house getting in the way of fishing BIG time at the moment), but:

Front:
fly boxes
leaders
nippers
hook hone
powerbars
boga grip
wire leaders (just in case)
mini light

Back:
spare spools
"unusual flies"
headlight
compass
zap-a-gap & grease
bug dope
ferrule wax

Pockets:
mini binocs....sometimes a camera, but after I trashed the last one I'm in the market for a new one....

probably forgetting something but that seems about right.

(mine is made by predator...large enough to hold the big millstream boxes i favor)

--jared

#13 ·
Front:
20lb floro tippet
17lb american wire
tape measure
leatherman
flybox
finger sock
clippers

Back:
1 - 2 more fly boxes
water and food
2 spools (three total floating, fast sink, clear intermediate)
head lamp if an early or late trip

somewhere else:
rain jacket stuffs and has a belt loop - goes on my wading belt
camera

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.