Fly Fishing Forum banner

Polar Fiber 360 Bunker

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
Here is a Polar fiber bunker tied the same way as the other flies... 3 applications of 6 clumps of polar fiber, white, lemon yellow and gray... the head has additional applications of white, and grey. 2/0 Varivas short shank.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
John, question for you: I've been toying with the idea of tying up some of Popovics' cotton candy flies, just for some variety at the bench, but I can't locate the bozo hair or big fly fiber recommended in the book. I typically order my "hard to get" supplies from Hunter's, and they say that yak hair is the closest thing they have. I've tied with it before, and must say it's pretty neat stuff, but I wanted to know if you or anyone else has any suggestions on this or another substitute material. Your polar fiber patterns are great; I was wondering if that material might be the answer. BTW, I'm hoping to tie some cotton candies in the 8-12" range. Thanks!

#4 ·
Well, they are right about yak hair being a good substitute for Bozo hair. I think there is a big difference between Yak and Polar fiber..Polar fiber is more wispy and not kinky like Yak so I don't think it would make a good substitute for the POp Cotton candy.

#7 ·
Mike, what I do is I will tie a small white clump at the bottom, then two smaller clumps on both sides of the bottom clump....that way the entire bottom of the shank is covered... then flip to the top... tie in one clump at the top and then one at its lower side and the other clump on the other lower side... so you have three clumps on the bottom and three on top...all side by side...like the bullets in a revolver so to speak...that is the 360 degrees I am refering to. You do not need a spreader for this kind of fly.

#9 ·
Dave, I can not remember the name of the flash, but it is like pearl flashabou with a slight Comes Alive ting to it.. I will show you at the show..but it is really great stuff and a bit more subtle than the usual pearl flashabou.... I simply tye it 360 around each clump of polar fiber except for the last clumps which are the head of the Fly clumps... this way the flash is transparent and internal as I like to do with the feather brains.

#10 ·
striblue have you tried just testing these polar fiber flies in some water yet? The reason why I'm asking you this is because I used to tie polar fiber flies the same way you are tying yours. I found that by tying polar fiber under the shook shank the fiber will foul up a lot around the hook point. The maker of the stuff ties his flies all with the material on the top of the shank so it doesn't foul up. I now do the same and have had no problems with fouling. Here's a link to his site:

http://successflies.com/materials/samples.html

#13 ·
Let me clarify that... I have a number of polar fiber flies that I have tied last year and are on the forum if you go back...these flies are also down at the Cape right now..... Those flies are all Hyties.....The four flies I recently tied ARE tied on the bottom as well as the top... I want to experiment with the bottom tie as well... I have also done them with spreaders and they will not foul with that set up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.