Fly Fishing Forum banner

Whats your Bone Rod/Reel?

24K views 75 replies 43 participants last post by  MartyG 
#1 ·
I'm curious what everyone fishes for bones.

Rod: St.Croix Legend Elite 9ft 8wt 5 pc. Reel: Abel Super 8, holds 8 wt line 200yds of backing.

Bone line usually the slow int sinking SA bonefish line, its a couple of years old.

#8 ·
Combo

Tibor Satin Everglades / Sage Rplxi 5 piece 9 weight
Tibor Black Everglades / Sage Rplxi 5 Piece 8 weight
Tibor Satin Freestone / Sage Rplxi 3 piece 7 weight

Would love to use the 8 and 7 more but eight out of ten times that nine is in my hand (especially when wading).

Mike

#13 ·
Low budget, great fun!

Wayfarer 9ft 8wt 5pc and as a back up I have a Global Fly Fisherman 8wt 4 pc
during the pike season the GFF took the overhand, and I now prefer it to the wayfarer.
Reel: SA a large arbour 79 I think it´s the 2 series, comes in a plastic display box and retails for around 35 dollars.
Line also SA, 8wt bonefish taper floating and a mastery sinking also WF-8

If someday I´ll be a big grown up veterinarian, maybe I´ll buy a sage. I would love to fish the Bones in Aruba with a SP 6wt (with fighting butt), but unfortunately the SP series is not continued. So if anybody of you ever wants to get rid of one......

#14 ·
I too am a veterinarian who now works to fish,I have been flyfishing and tying for over 50 years and am not 60 yet, so I think I have maybe 10 -15 years of hard fishing left. The complete diversity of equipment that people use for bonefishing is exemplified by the song,"It "aint what you do, its the way that you do it , that's what gets results". My favourite rod is a 9wt Scott Heliply, 8'8", the best rod I have ever used and I have quite an arsenal to back that up.

#17 ·
Loop Blueline Salt 8.8 ft #8 My favourite!
Sage RPLXi 9 ft #8

Loop tradional 3W filled with SA XTS gelspun backing/ Sage Equator taper
Redington AS 11/12 filled with gelspun and Wulff SWTBF taper

Also carry some spare lines/spools, been trying the FP-line (really nice line, shoots smooooth, Tropical clouserline for other species/poppers).

Have been casting with an Winston Boron 2x something rod, i was impressed by its qualities!

#22 ·
For 8 years I have used a Loomis GL-3 matched with a Lamson LP-3.5 and that outfit, though not top of the line, has worked well for me.

I am upgrading this year. I spent a long time checking reels and rods trying to decide. An Everglades and a XI-2 would be nice but I just can't justify that kind of money. I wanted something light too since most of my bonefishing is as far out as I can get and is almost exclusively wading.

Here is what I decided on.
The New Sage 2580 reel. It is under 6oz, large arbor, holds 200yds, suposed to be sealed and maintenance free and I have heard good things about the drag. I know of a guide in NC that uses them and has tested them on false albacore tighteining them way down and they stood up.

I am pairing it with a TFO TICR-X 7 wt. I have a 9wt and really like it. I plan to load the 7 with 8wt line thinking it would give me good distance and help load the rod fast for those short quick casts that are so important when bonefishing.

Thats a an outfit I think should work well, weighing under 11oz total and costing under $650 total. Can't wait to try it out.

#23 ·
SteelBoneguy said:
Juro,

How do you like that TT, I've been around the Fly fish world for sometime but never have heard of a Danielsson reel. Fill me in when you get sometime.

Sorry I didn't see this until now.

The 7wt H2 is amazing. I cast it at the shows over the winter and could not believe how well it carries line without being stiff. I hate stiff rods, can't understand how people use them. The energy that goes into the line comes from the rod's load not the arm's forcing push, or more acurately a cooperation of the two. Some rods are so stiff the arm does all the work, like a 2x4.

The T&T H2 loads clean and progressively but gets all of the arm power into the stroke. I was especially impressed with the 7wt 4pc travel rod and that's what I bought.

I never fished any other rod the entire 7 days in Acklins, never needed to despite strong winds and some long cast demands. The problem with stiff rods is that the short game stinks, but the 7wt is supple enough to make quick casts in fact I hooked and landed a nice bone on a snake roll cast after missing one pod, 90 degree change and cast to another and bang.

With longer taper lines like the SA bonefish one can aerialize a lot of line and the H2 will take it in stride. Besides I love the aesthetics of the rod, and that matters a lot to me. As much as I am impressed with the more affordable rods I see these high end rods as more matched to my personal taste in fly gear (a very subjective thing I am sure).

The Danielsson reel is the former LOOP Evotec, they designed and built these reels for the international market for many years. Since their decision to sell direct after some turbulence in the LOOP relationship the reels are now available at an incredibly affordable price.

While working in the rod business recently I had to buy a lot of reels and I own a fair collection. Some have let me down, others have gotten me through hard duty. I can honestly say that these reels offer the price/performance balance I have been after and the sealed drag is probably the best out there. Combined with the aesthetics I am sold.

There are many great rods and reels out there as this thread proves. But as my goto bonefish outfit, I can't say enough about the H2 and the Danielsson combo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.