Fly Fishing Forum banner

MDJ Jan 29, 2003

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  doogue 
#1 ·

After a hard day of casting and kicking back, roballen, lastcaststeve, andre, and doublespey take a moment to kick back some more at the Sandy River Clave, OR last May.

Crusty - I sure enjoyed that cup, thank you.

See less See more
#6 ·
neac, this isn't a pig-pile, so don't misunderstand it. But, why the regular mention of what spirit or brew whomever happens to have in their hand as they spend time, enjoying friends and relaxing??? Now it's this thread; it also came up over the pic from Striblue's back porch - you are joking, right?

#8 ·
Different strokes...

I don't want to start anything here but it seems to me that it is just a matter of different senses of humor. I often joke about smoking a joint to slow down my casting stroke which always lands with mixed reviews depending on the audience. :smokin: If you have a problem with someones sense of humor or question their motives, might a quick PM might be the better route? It seems that making the statement in the thread just leads to long threads that go way off topic. Which seems to be the case here.

Sean

#9 ·
I have had the benefit of talking to Gerry at the show, where in fact our photo gallery had a couple of images of post-fishing libations and it was a running joke, meant in jest I'm sure.

Not there is anything to defend here, but the truth is we are such low-volume consumers despite being high-volume jesters that believe me, any references to alchohol are lost on us!

I've spent some serious time in some remote places with many people in this community and I have yet to meet one whom I would consider to have alchohol issues.

That says a lot, considering the number of people in the forum!

But we do have a serious problem... a FISHING addiction! ;)

#10 ·
Well, the arc is about to get wider, then.

If that's the case, then the mention of whomever handling whatever spirit or malt, wherever, whenever, should never have been mentioned in the first place, OR Jerry!!! should have back-door Pm'ed it - which would have served the multiple purpose of (a) avoiding, (b) negating, and (c) removing the aggravation in the first place, let alone the time it took the several querulous posters to challenge or opine, regarding Jerry's method or motive, as well as eliminating your need to quash it by suggesting it be Pm'ed.

If you have a problem with my motives as a poster, I expect to be challenged, so why not have a problem with the motives of the antagonist, or is the tongue-in-cheek obvious to you and Jerry and no one else. Kinda like opening Pandora's Box.

Oh, and by the bye, I only drink on two occasions - when I'm alone or with someone. Try to figure out whether I'm joking or serious.

#12 ·
As the resident FFF expert on this matter....

I am surrounded by more alcohol, at work, on a daily basis than most of you will see in your lifetime.

No matter how many times you brush your teeth I can tell what particular category of adult beverage you finished off with last night within the first few words out of your mouth the next morning(my wife didn't believe this until recently when I proved it beyond a reasonable doubt. That's a story for a different time).

I can say without question that I've never met a member of this board, in any setting, that had overindulged or had the tell tale signs of a drinking problem. Alcohol is not inherently evil. The habits of the person abusing it are what gets us in trouble.

I don't think Jerry was picking a fight, I could be wrong. Hopefully this thread will fade away and all will be forgotten.

#14 · (Edited)
After a hard day on the flatz/river...

It's really nice to gather up, compare notes, trade stories, make excuses, stretch reality...whatever!
Part of this "social experience" is kicking back and sipping some sudz, some most excellent CAC fresh brewed Java, lighting up a stogie, or whatever feels right. Thoughtful moderation prevails!
It's a very pleasant part of the day and a great chance to actually get to better know your fishing pals...the environment is much more camera-user-friendly, hence, the proponderance of "social gathering" shotz...a fact of life! 'wouldn't change a thing...
The days that I fish solo, my return (to the comforts of Area 61) is always good...but when there is a table of friends at the CAC (or where ever) it's even better...the total experience is complete and the gathering is like a good desert after a swell meal...
If you haven't been there, you'll just have to take my word for it.
If you have been there, you know what I'm talking about and appreciate the icing on the cake!
When ever I had to fly my USAF aluminum overcast TARGET into harms way, when it was all over it was customary to buy some crew bonding beer and spend post mission crew time decompressing.
In all my years of dodging and weaving, I've never met a more in-control, level headed group of focused friends...REMARKABLE!
The only thing I'd change...make Summer SOONER & LONGER! :razz:

#16 ·
Well this was fun
OK to get it all out YES I WAS kidding! I do like to joke and perhaps this time I took it 1 step to far.
So for those I offended I am sorry. I think perhaps with the lack of actual fishing topics to discuss we tend to read to much into ones motives and not just the content. As for the line of not drinking any more well I'm not against drinking at I enjoy kicking back and having a drink now and then, also I would expect to see more photos of ppl doing the same as most where out fishing and to busy to pose for said photo until the rod was out of their hand and the drink was in the hand. Another thing The photos in question all look like fun well inspired shots of ppl enjoying each others company not of over indulged alcoholics pie eyed falling off chairs (which I also have been at times).
So in closing there was not motive,agenda,or insult intended although a laugh would have been the appropriate response at least I did get some ppl talking. It is my hope the ones who took it to heart can forgive me my humor and put it behind us for I did enjoy spending time and speaking with most of you at the show and the rhody calve and would not mind having a drink with you if I would not seem too much like a hypocrite

#18 ·
Jerry.. Thanks for the response and clearly understood certainly by me.. No need to explain... we have alot on our agenda this spring and especially coming up so I hope I see more of you at these events... and in the coming season so there is a bed for you at CAC when you make it down the Cape.. By the way give me an e-mail if you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.