Fly Fishing Forum banner

homemade stripping basket inserts

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  tomd 
#1 ·
Hi

I'm making my first stripping basket and would like some suggestion on what to use for the inserts.

Thanks,

Craig

#4 ·
I cheated and bought the pre-made $8 insert. They fit nice in the $2 rubbermaid tub. Crazy, eh? Pay $2 for the tub, then four times that for the little nubs. Oh well, can't complain about a $10 basket.

Still searching for a really dirt cheap plastic cone.... came close with the tapered spindles used for bulk thread.

Any ideas?

G
#5 ·
This one got me out of lurkerdom.

Last year I tried several different things for stripping baskets. The weed whacker cord was just plain too stif. When I shot line on a cast I could see it vibrating as it hung up on the line. I ended up using cable ties like Sully mentioned.

Juro: One thing I tried that worked great for casting was recycled Stonyfield Farm yogurt cups. The 4 or 6 oz size cups are a nice taper & size. My problem with this approach was that I couldn't keep them stuck to the bottom of the stripping tray.

#7 ·
Just one point about weed wacker cord... the best way to use it is to loop it around and poke it thru twice. Spacing is key to avoid overlaps inside the basket. Not too long, not too short. Holes thru bottom should allow cord bend/crease at tip to be thinner than base, obviously. I've used a radial spread with great results in the past, before getting lazy and buying. I'd have to say that overall the looped over cord worked better than the cones I bought, but the convenience factor is a no brainer. Drop it in, tape or glue in place and fish.

Good luck!

#9 ·
Good question Ron, I've never had the line get under the edge but I did use duct tape to hold the insert down after it floated away one day. The little sticky tabs they provide aren't worth a dime. Check out the ones I got next time we're out; they are light as a feather.

I wish the cones were a little smaller in diameter and perhaps a little bit taller.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.