Fly Fishing Forum banner

GL Summer Spey

2K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  pmflyfisher 
#1 ·
From my last fruitless Michigan summer skamania steelhead pursuit a couple of weeks ago. Taken during a summer thunderstorm down pour. Note how the rain soaked Fly Forumn Cap matches my rain soaked vest. Price less !! :chuckle:

Maybe I will make this my new avatar ?

P.S. No summer skamania chrome, but lots of spey casting practice for sure.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
nice pic....

Looks very nice, wish I was chasing steel or kings right now but HS football restricts me. I am hoping to get to Port Austin next Sunday to chase some bullets off the pier with my fly rod. I know they are doing pretty goo up there!

#3 ·
Dan,

Yes know what you mean, my son's HS football also throws a little crimp into my fall fishing but it is well worth it, this is my last boy in HS football and I am going to enjoy the next 4 years. Older son played for the same school. Hes the starting right CB, they won their first game last Saturday, 16-8 he had a game saving interception in the end zone and made some big tackles. They will be done by end of October and then I am free for all the steelhead fishing I want!

Hal

#5 ·
hmmm.....

Yes I know how it is. I live for football and fishing....:cool: I play for Eisenhower Highschool on the eastside of the state, and I play WR and saftey. I dunno, its hard to keep my mind on football and fishing at the same time. When I am at football I wish I am fishing, and when I am actually fishing I am thinking about football.

Anyways, the picture...hmmm, can't reconize it. Is it on the St. Joe? About the skams, well with the Joe being so warm and the lack of rain, many of the fish are staging and cruising around the mouth and piers. I would say with the first rain they will shoot up with the salmon.

Whos knows, everything has to be right?!

#6 ·
Dan,

Focus on the HS football this may be your last chance to play organized football, enjoy it fully, you have the rest of your life to go steelhead fishing. This is what I am telling my freshman son, play hard and enjoy it, only a handful of players go beyond HS football. These are great memories you will have forever, my older sons best friends are his HS football buddies. Good luck this season, "Get low or get laid low", you know what I mean.

Hal

P.S. Thats right on the river.

#7 ·
I agree....

You gotta love it. I am focused on football right now and I love it, plus like you said I have the rest of my life.

How does this sound. Finish high school and go to an architectural school to get a degree. Then move to Traverse City since it is a nice town and very friendly, plus remoteness is not that far away. Help Russ Madden and his flyshop the Troutsman, while taking care of business as an architect. Find time for salmonoid fishing from the surf or local rivers throughout the year, and chase big trout and carp on the flats of traverse in the summer.

How does this sound? :D

#8 ·
Dan,

That sounds like a great plan go for it. I have not been to Traverse City in 20 years, never get north of Big M. country on my steelie trips. Beautiful country up there though. Never get up there since there is so much quality fishing to be had south of the Big M. Good luck with the football season, here it is like a religion. My sons HS team has the same varsity coach for the last 31 years ! He has a 80% winning percentage, went to state finals last year, and presently ranked # 1 in its class this year.

If I had to choose between going to an exciting HS football game or a good day steelheading, I would take the HS football game, also better than watching the Bears many times.

Hal

#9 ·
SAME STORY.....

Thats funny, my coach has been coaching since our school first opened, and this is his 34th year. He coached my dad and all his buddies played football at our school and now alot of them are coaches. The funny thing is that every coach except one has gone to the school and been coached by him before and how they are helping with the program. We are ranked #1 in the state and #8 in the midwest. We went to the championship 3 years in a row but lost all 3 of them. We are gonna try to make a reappearance this year, and we are 1-1 right now.

Well, good luck to your son as well!

I can't wait to surf traverse city!

#10 ·
Dan,

Good luck, your schools sounds like my sons (Richards High School, Oak Lawn, IL) which is a chicago surburb. See link below. Varsity and freshman (sons team) are undefeated so far. Sophmore are 1-2 however they moved their star tailback to the varsity, and he is truly the pony to ride to the playoffs, along with our 6"7" QB and new purdue style passing attack. Things look good this year for another run at state. They won 40-0 last night against an undefeated team. Could have been worse.

Check out freshman page, my son is Ross Eckert, in picture he is in 2nd row from bottom, 4th in from the left side of picture, # 22.
Starts at right CB now.

If they go to state finals again this year it puts complications into my Michigan steelhead plans though in November. :mad: May have to go in December, christmas wild winter steelhead, priceless!

http://staff.chsd218.org/HLR/foot12/records.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.