Fly Fishing Forum banner

Flyrod Outfit

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  grego 
#1 ·
Being that I only have a 6 weight trout outfit that I use for small streams and ponds ,can you guys point in the right direction for a rod and reel for the salt.Would like to use for albies ,bass and blues.Nothing fancy since I am on a low budget .Just something to get me started, spending the least amount possible.
Thanks in advance Joev

#2 ·
I saw this one coming...I did the same thing :)

Low budget is the request so...
an 8 or 9 wgt rod will do well - St.Croix & Redington both have models around $100, Cortland has outfits that aren't too bad on the wallet.
also look at Okuma reels (under $100), I'm sure there are others but just to get going..
Lines are about $50 or under if you hunt around - try to get a type 5 or 6 sink-tip, the running line won't matter if it's cheap.
Leaders = 20# mono, tippets = 12#

$200 or so can get you started, closer to $300 will get you better - do some homework & check the shows in the spring

You're on-line so check Ebay & the classifieds on this BB - I did o.k. this past spring when I first started.

don't be afraid to ask "dumb" rookie questions her either - best way to learn is to ask.
Good luck, keep us posted.

#3 ·
You'll probably get a variety of answers on this one, but here's my two cents. I think that a 9 wt rod is the best all around weight for saltwater fishing. If you only can afford one rod, this should be it, and it should be at least 9 ft long. This size can cover light action in salt ponds and estuaries, beach fishing, and can even be used for heavy surf, although a 10 or 11 wt would be more practical for that situation. If you have a 9 wt, you're essentially splitting the difference between the lighter 8 wt for ponds and estuaries and the 10 wt for heavy surf. Just my opinion, as this has worked for me very well.

If you can afford only one flyline, it should probably be an intermediate. This is a nice way to split the difference between shallow and medium depth fishing. If you find that you need to get even deeper, don't despair. You can always get an extra spool for your reel and load it up with a fast sinking line.

So you can have one rod, one reel, and one line type and do reasonably well. If you want to expand, you can have one rod, one reel, and three spools loaded with different lines (floating, intermediate, and fast sinking).

And do yourself a favor. Don't look at the post on the Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion where everyone's telling how many rods they own. It might scare you!

Mark

#4 ·
Everyone has a different casting style etc...

But dollar for dollar, I am convinced you can't go wrong with the Sage DS2 package. Rod, reel & line for under $300. This is a rod you can use for the rest of your life.

I don't own any Sage rods so take this as a totally impartial suggestion.

Roop

#5 ·
The Reddington RS2 reel looks interesting, maybe to go with a Red Start rod. I have the Diamondback All American 9 wgt. which I have no complaints about at $160. I agree with Roop on the DS2. If I were starting over I would go with it. I like the Cortland 444SL saltwater taper intermediate line (the white one).

The Red Start, All American and the DS2 are all available in packages.

Lots of choices.

Good luck,
Fred A.

#6 ·
Great advice above.

Rods:
There are two camps. The stiff & beefy SW rod camp and what I will call the classic action camp for lack of better words.

The S&B camp prefers very stiff, low flex rods. The C/A camp prefers to use a rod that loads up a lot of potential energy in the blank and uses recoil to project the loop.

I don't like the word "fast" for rods. Too many people use it to describe stiffness. If a rod has no flex, will it generate line speed over 60 feet of line? Not likely, it won't be able to aerialize a loop without taking a bend in the rod. If it's noodly? Forget it, no recoil. A rod that takes a good load yet unloads that energy easily is a low-impact casting rod.

I like the Sage DS as well as other choices in the under $250 range. The new Sage DS2's have a little lighter feel than the old DS. Although they feel light you can really load these rods up, deceptively more line throwing power than they present to the hand at first inspection. These are low-impact rods, meaning the way to use them is to let the line load the rod up and it has enough modulus to unload for you. Once you find the stroke you really don't need to work very hard, it does the work for you.

With a stiff flyrod your arm, shoulder and elbow does more of the work of carrying the line weight through the air. I do not like stiff rods but I like fast ones, meaning I like rods that are easy to generate high energy transfer in the loop. Better yet if I don't have to wear out my shoulder trying.

Because C/A rods are not very stiff, you can't yard the fish up on the beach as quickly as you could with other rods. You are forced to enjoy the fight a little longer.

On the other hand, a little hoomph against a heavy fish is useful, and that part is better with a broomstick.

I believe that a DS2 10wt is one of the good choices out there for a saltwater rod for the money. There are a ton of choices out there, and you need to shop around. I like these rods because you can cast one side by side with 9wts and hardly tell the difference even though it's a 10wt, and it really throws a 10wt line very nicely.

It doesn't have the hoomph of some rods, but in my way of seeing things it's a nice all-around package for short money.

I'm one of those from the other thread who's over purchased right now and I don't work at a flyshop anymore... so I would suggest you research as many sources as possible, and CAST as many as possible before deciding.

As far as the reel...

Lamson VELOCITY - large arbor, sealed conical delrin drag, machined... great price, unconditional warranty, what else could you ask for?

#7 ·
I'll go with juro on the velocity reel. check out the redbone rods from cabelas, they are only $99.00 for a great casting 3 pc rod. they come with a lifetime warrenty, a rod sock and tube as well. everyone I've let cast it has been amazed at the way this rod casts. I brought an 8 and 10 wt of this rod to Belize, that's how impressed I was with them. Tom D

#8 ·
Thanks for all the info guys.I was checking out the rods in Cabelas.I got to start off cheap my boss said .She will kill me if I spend $300 + on a outfit.So I will keep lurking and asking dumb questions.Hopefully by the spring time I will be ready for the schoolies.
Thanks Again joev
BTW any looking to do some late season Yak fishing let me know

#9 ·
Also, Keep your Eyes on the Classified Section of this & other Boards. Occassionally a guide or private party will sell a used rod/reel/outfit, because they are upgrading to higher end gear. Last Fall some sold a Diamondback Backwater, a Sci-Angler, reel & a line for ~$250 (I was the Second caller!); it's a great way to get into an outfit without spending $400-$600.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.