Fly Fishing Forum banner

Anyone want to build a flyrod?

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Nathan Smith 
#1 ·
One of our sponsors, Rod Builder's Workshop, runs a rod building class I'd like to attend. The shop is located in Kingston MA just off highway 3 heading toward Plymouth.

The fee is $150 per person, kicked off as a group session where the cork handles are fitted, reamed and glued. Subsequent classes are one-on-one for wraps, guides, etc. The follow-ups are scheduled at your own pace until done.

Smitty is one of the areas top rod builders, if not THE top gun. He is known for his exceptional single-thread pattern work.

I think it would be a fun event to get together for the kick-off session with members. I think he can take 6 people.

Anyone interested in being the other 5 sometime in February or early March?

#4 ·
Juro,
I have been really interested in doing this for a couple of years now, but have been really held up by the time/schedule/location--Kingston being a little far from Boston for say a weeknight...

Any chance you could give a little more detail on how many follow up sessions are involved and the length of time. If I can work it into my schedule, I'm definitely in.

G
#5 ·
Juro -- any idea if Smitty has experience with split cane rods? I have a project rod that could use rewrapping and this might be the perfect opportunity for me to learn the finer points of bamboo refinishing.

#7 ·
Once a student of Smitty's, always a student of Smitty's.

I've seen guys in his shop that signed up for his course 2 years earlier.

Remmeber Smitty is now a FULL service Sage & Redington dealer and can probably get you whatever else you want.

Roop

#8 ·
I have taken Smitty's course, and yes, once a student always a student applies. I have built some beautiful rods with his direction and the fact that an old family friend gave me his Renzetti rod builder's lathe because he was too old to use it any longer. Building a fly rod can be a simple or as complex as you want to make it. Things like burled cork grips, custom butt wraps, burled fighting butts and overall fussiness can make it a weeklong project or a 2 day project. You decide. It is easy to hone out a premade full wells grip, slide it on and it will work fine, but it will not last nearly as long nor look nearly as good as a nice hand turned burled cork handle that you made yourself. And there is always the PRIDE factor. Building rods has become a wonderful hobby for me and I will be glad to offer any assistance I can to anyone who is interested in doing this. I live in Kingston as well and his shop is a great resource. I am leaving for Ft. Lauderdale(on business) in the morning and I'll be back on Jan 31st. Laptop is staying home so I will be having a major disconnect until then. I will answer any e-mails when I get back.

#9 ·
Al -

Not sure about the cane, but as long as Smitty's been sniffin' rod glue I wouldn't doubt it

In any case, wrapping and refurb should be a no-brainer for him I suspect, although you'd have to ask him. His contact info is on his <!--http--><a href="http://www.flyfishingforum.com/smitty" target="_blank">website</a><!--url--> for anyone who is interested.

Another member, Kevin O'Connor, just refurbed a bamboo. He did an awesome job!

Kevin -

Any insights on the topic for Al?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.