Fly Fishing Forum banner

greetings from Nebraska

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Interceptor 
#1 ·
I am a former spinning rod/baitcaster fisherman, who ,in my weaker moments, go back to those fishing roots. I had to beg for 3 years straight for my dad to buy me a flyrod, "I don't think we need a new expensive hobby like that" he always said Ironicly when we finally did start up fly fishing he ended up buying all the expensive equiptment while I still have the two set-ups I bought for $20.Those are still me go-to rods. I wouldn't be the first person to admit that I am a relatively poor fly caster, but the fish seem to be far less discriminating towards my fly casts than I am. Also for my fly tying skills, I don't claim superiority to anyone. I am not a big fan of tying standard fly patterns, and I specialize in creative fly tying, namely crayfish and moth patterns.

#2 ·
Greetings from the PharSide...

...of the canal! (CapeCod, MA)

'Sounds as if you've got a good thing going...
The more involved you get with casting/tying and long rod zen, the more involved you get!
I still have and use spinning stuff but there's no passion.
The creative tying aspects allow winter diversion and the results help complete the FF circle.
I'm hooked and, I suspect, so are you!
Keepupthegoodwork! :D

#4 ·
Intercepter, you're probably refering to the Pine Ridge area. There are a limited few trout streams there, but due to the heavy agruculture use the water is very turbid and the fish sometimes suffer a winter-kill. I believe the trout there are browns only. I've never been there so I don't know the details. I've also heard some reports of good trout coming into the tributaries of lake Macaughnahey, but as the lake is reaching record lows, I doubt that the trout runs are that substancial. There is one creek north of Omaha several hours thats stocked, also never been there. That is pretty much Nebraska's trout fishery, unless there are some in the Missouri River around Gavins Point Dam, don't know till I try this summer. :devil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.