Fly Fishing Forum banner

Need a lot of helps

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  akfish 
#1 ·
I am shopping for a 10 wt reel (for king salmon) and an 8 wt rod (for silver salmon et al.). The budget is $500. What I have in mind is that $400 goes to the reel: either Ross Canyon 6 or Galvan Torque T10. I like the look of the Galvan; it is a beauty. But what do I know? I am rather new to the sport. $100 goes to the rod for a TFO Series I. I owned one of this rod and I like it.

Alternatively, I can spent less on the reel, say a Lamson Velocity or a Tioga. Then, I can get a TFO ticr.

Which makes more sense?

The second question. I was told that the breaking point of a fly line is around 22-25 lb, so I should not use a leader that is heavier than 20 lb test. BTW, king salmon are not leader shy up here, so I will not use a tippet. I really want to use a leader of 25 or 30 lb test. The reason is that I do compat fishing a lot. I am afraid that other people will hate me if I play a fish too long (they may need to stop fishing). What should I do?

The third question. I like to have a loop attached or tied to the fly line by which I can loop-to-loop my leader. I like the loop to be durable; say it will last the whole fishing season allowing me to land about 30-50 king salmon. What type of loop should I attach or tie to the fly line? Currently, for my silver salmon fishing, I tie mono on the fly line to form a loop. I found that it is good about for landing 20 silver salmon; after that the colored plastic coat of the fly line would be peeled off, and then I need to tie another loop.

Thanks for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
need lots of help

Are you sure you want a 10 weight for king salmon? I had a king break a 10 weight ticr. Now I use a 12 weight ticr. I also use a orvis battenkill 5.
If I were you I would get a 12 weight ticr, the other a series 1, and then whatever you have left for reel/line/backing.

My understanding was that flyline in the bigger sizes (10) is 30 pound strength. I use 3o pound leader and have had my 30 pound leader broken but never my flyline.

#3 ·
Ackfish'
I have a Gatti 8wt 3pc factory rod for sale. Blank and windings in excellent Cond. New is approx $558.
Will sell for $250. Bought it before the Euro went up vs the U.S. Dollar. If you still need a 10wt reel I will sell a Bauer MX5 with backing. Only marks on reel are on foot. If that bothers you - for $20 you can put on a new one. Mech it is perfect New is about $600. For $300 - but only to sell the Gatti. e.g. You can buy the Gatti alone but not the reel alone. I will pay ship.

#4 ·
Thank you for the information.

A 10-weight is good enough for my current king salmon fishing. I usually fish for smaller rivers where they range from 20-45 lb.

I am thinking about fishing the Kenai king salmon. For them, I need a strong, two-hand rod in the future, say in 2-3 years. :Eyecrazy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.