Fly Fishing Forum banner

Recipe As Promised

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Juro,

Feel free to move this to a more appropriate board, but give it a day or two on the BIG Board. Thanks.

While fishing with the Estey's our conversations turned from fishing to eating fish to preparing fish. They were interested in baked stuff fish & I said that I have a great recipe, so here it is.

Baked Stuffed Flounder for Four

Ingredients:

8 medium sized flounder fillets
1 (regular sized) box of Keebler Town House Crackers
1 stick of butter (or ½ stick & olive oil)
12 oz. of fresh mushrooms
1 cup of white wine.
2 lemons (or lemon juice)
16 young asparagus
4 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons basil
Dill (preferably fresh)
1 can of condensed lobster bisque (Pepridge Farms)
1 cup of light cream

Prep. Work.

(1) Crush the crackers up fine. This can be done with a food processor, or place crackers in a double paper bag & beat with a rolling pin (or jump on it, seriously).
(2) Clean mushrooms & chop them up fine. This can be done by hand or using a food processor.
(3) Chop garlic up fine.
(4) There is no four, that's it!

Make the Stuffing:

Heat up a large sauté pan (nonstick skillet or stainless steal pan) under med./high heat. Add butter & oil, then sauté mushrooms and garlic until they're lightly browned. Stir in the Basil & Dill (if dill is fresh hold some back for garnish). Now turn the heat OFF & pour in wine & lemon juice. Add the cracker crumbs in a handful at a time while mixing. What you're shooting for is the stuffing to get the consistency of "Play-Dough". If the consistency is right before you use up all of the cracker crumbs that all right. If it gets too dry, add more oil, wine, or lemon juice. Put the pan on a trivet & let it cool for several minutes, because you need to be able to handle it.

Make the Sauce:

While the stuffing is cooling, open the can of condensed Lobster Bisque. The directions on the can will call for adding one cup of milk, but use the cream instead; it will give you the thickness of a sauce instead of soup. Follow the rest of the directions on the can, then keep the sauce warm & put it aside.

Stuff & Cook the Fish:

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Spray some Pam on a large (9" X 11") Pyrex brownie pan. Take a handful of stuffing and shape it into a cylinder, then wrap the flounder fillet around the cylinder & place it into the pan so that the "loose end" of the fillet is down. Do this for all eight fillets. Squeeze some lemon juice over each fillet then place into the oven & cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the fish is white & begins to flake. I like to squeeze on some more lemon juice half way through the cooking.

Putting it together:

While the fish is baking, steam the asparagus to your liking & make sure your sauce is still warm. When the fish is cooked, have four plates ready. Use a spatula to carefully place two fillets per plate. Place four asparagus across each of the two fillets & ladle on the sauce & garnish with the fresh dill.

On the side:

Simple is better; I like to serve this dish with a salad (green or Cesar) & rice (pilaf or long-grain & wild).

Comments:

This is a very easy and great tasting dish you can put together in less than an hour. So, break out some candles and make some brownie points with the wife or girlfriend. (Just make sure that they're not in the same room at the same time, D'OH!).

Added Bonus:

I also use this basic recipe for my famous baked stuff mushrooms. Substitute Keebler Cheese flavored crackers for the regular ones. Buy 3 dozen stuffing mushrooms; clean them & remove the stems. Then chop up the stems only & use them in the sauté. Stuff the mushroom caps & bake as above, but reduce cooking time to 15 minutes. Make these the next time you're invited to a party were you're required to bring an appetizer.

See less See more
#4 ·
Just a tip on the sauce: if you find it's not thick enough add a tablespoon of roux.

(For those who have never experienced the magic of roux cooking, this is simply a tablespoon of butter or lard to which a tablespoon of flour is added. Saute this mixture until it's golden brown. When added to a sauce, the semi-cooked flour bonds with milk sugars and forms a thickening agent without clumps and without the strange texture of corn starch.)

#5 ·
Grego,
I have made your fish twice now to rave reviews. The stuffing is awesome! I changed it up a little after I couldn't find good bisque. I put some canned crabmeat into the stuffing and then adjusted the rest of the ingredients to get the right consistency. I also substituted cream of mushroom soup which I supplemented with another can of crab meat. It was a nice alteration. Just wanted to let you know that I loved the recipe.

Nick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.