Fly Fishing Forum banner

First Formal Spey Lesson

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  NrthFrk16 
#1 ·
Today I finally had some on the water instruction on how to properly throw the two-handed rod. It was great...learned alot but it was tough as I am left handed and the drift at Ben Howard lends itself to the right-handed caster.

I couldn't wait to get to the DoubleSpey portion so I would not look like such a screw up.

Can not wait to go out and try the Snap-T and Perry Poke (a totally killer cast) where the river is in my favor (river right I believe or is the other way around. I always get confused).

Juro's advice regarding tracking a bird with a shotgun was excellent advice when crossing my body over to set my D-Loop. Now I just need to stop pushing with my left and start snapping with my right hand when performing the forward cast.

#2 ·
Ryan -

Sounds like you are off to a great start... just remember if you don't set correctly you can get a hook in the other cheek! :hehe:

The shotgun analogy is Derek Brown's - I was just doin' a "what he said" cause it really helped me too. Now if I could only remember to do it :rolleyes:

Keep at it, there is nothing more pleasant than the cadence and fluidity of working a long line through a beautiful pool with a Spey rod, just when you become so full of bliss that don't need anything else in the world to be happy, >WHUNK< ScreeeEEEEeeeeEEEEEaaaaaMMM!

If it's any consolation you should have no problem kickin' my butt soon, I only get serious Spey sessions in the spring and fall anymore :(

#3 ·
Licensed to Spey?

Excellent Ryan . . . now you just have to learn to :hehe: DUCK :hehe: when the Indicator comes whizzing by so the little lead-eyed monster doesn't eat your ear!! :whoa:

Seriously, tho . . congratulations! Nothing more fun that getting your first spey casting lessons. I remember John Farrar teaching us the various casts on the shores of the North Fork Skykomish quite a few years ago. I still remind myself of several points he made when my casting goes South (and it does for everyone occasionally).

hasta,

DS

#4 · (Edited)
Damn Left Hand

Brian-
I have designated the 8126 as my indicator rod!! :devil: And George told me the Perry Poke is an excellent lead eyed fly cast so with the 8126 and the Perry Poke I am all set for a summer on the Stilly. ;)

I think once I get it through my head to not push with my left hand but pull with my right (80%-20%)...George told me I had an excellent stroke and pivot but I was pushing way too much. He said to do what you can to tough just touch my fingers on left hand instead of actually gripping the rod.

Can not wait to give it anothe go though...Wensday is just a couple days away. :devil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.