Fly Fishing Forum banner

New fly for Los Roques

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  nmbrowncom 
#1 ·
It is now over a year since I was in Los Roques and I will be travelling there on Jan 27.
On my last trip there I fished with Jan Kristensen who wrote an article about our trip with great photos that was published in a major fishing mag.
It was all about fishing with a floating gummy minnow.
The idea being that the fly resembles a stunned bait fish.

There are however a few problems with the fly. The construction is such that after catching one or two fish the hook become detached from the body and the fly can be thrown away. Also it is only just buoyant and if you use strong fluoro as a leader the fly can sink.

I have tried to come up with a fly that will overcome these problems.
It is constructed (not tied) using Locofoam (The body material for crease flies). Also I use Gamakatsu SC15 #2 because it is comparatively light.
I think a good name is the Loco Minnow.

I’ll let you know how it works when I get back.

Pete

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Pete,

I saw Jan's article in Flylife. It was a good read.

That fly looks like a killer. Do you fish the gummy with no retrieve? Did they take it under the surface or was it like fishing a popper real slow?

Looks like it would make a great longtail tuna fly for Oz when the fish are on small bait. Will have to tie some up for my next trip there.

While down in Ascension recently I had several bones chasing and eating very light flies stripped fast making a wake in the surface film. First time I had seen that

Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Mat

#6 ·
hey pete, thanks for your info on los roques. it looks like the fishing in the amazon is on so i'm unlikely to be in los roques, but thanks for all your help. if i do make it, i'll try to look you up and perhaps scrounge a couple of those flies off of you. good luck, neal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.