Fly Fishing Forum banner

Salmon fishing in Scotland

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  McIntyre 
#1 ·
In Norway I'm able to fish for salmon three and a half months. At this time of the year I fishes almost every day. But when the October comes it is not possible to fish salmon until June. For someone like me who thinks about salmonfishing 24-7 this is a very long time...

To short down on the waiting I have booked a week in River Dee in March this year. Fishing for a week at about £100 pr day is possible with some planning and savings, but if I'm gonna fish for months that will be very expensive.

What is the possibilities for a foreigner who wants to fish in Scotland during spring and late autumn on season permits? Is this possible?

I would appreciate if anyone could give me some good advices.

#2 ·
Which beat are you on on the Dee? March should be good especially if paying £100/day is that for fishing and accomadation or just the fishing?

At the backend, Autumn, the Dee and the Spey both close on the 30th September, the Ness system and the Beauly both continue till the 15th October and the Deveron and Don finish the 31st October. From then on you have to go down to the borders where the Tweed system runs till the end of November as does some of the others. Tweed can be expensive up to £1000/day.

Association, club fishing is cheaper,consider Grantown on Spey for early season April.May and the Ness town water for October, remember though these town waters can be busy especially on Saturdays.

#3 ·
Thanks for your answer Willie Gunn.

I'm fishing with a big group of cracy Norwegians so I will get the possibillity to try several different beats in Dee, amongs them Dess, Carlogie, Cairnton and Incmarlo. I have found a lot of great information about these and other beats in Dee, Tweed and the other rivers connected to fishscotland.co.uk on their pages, but it's more difficult to optain information about the association waters which has to be the option if I'm going to fish for a whole month or more.

How crowded is the association waters you mention on the weekdays? I guess there also will be some good opurtunities in the smaller and less known rivers?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.