Fly Fishing Forum banner

kype jaws

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
We hit the Cheeseman canyon on the South Platte west and south of Denver on sunday to try to catch the beatis hatch. It was very sunny so the hatch was not great. I did OK with an RS-2, however i did manage one fish on a parachute BWO. The interesting thing about this fish was it had a terrific kype jaw. The fish was not huge, about 16 inches but it had a huge jaw full of big teeth. I thought only large fish have this, maybe it is a function of age not size?

#4 ·
Makes sense, this is spawning time for rainbows.

As far as missing the pull of a good striper, I almost said "yeah me too" but over the next few months I'm sure there will be many to feed that jones.

Likewise I miss the acrobatics of a big summer steelhead, the palmburn of a screaming chinook, the bolt of silver lightning of a chrome bright ocean coho in a turquiose pacific sea - but it's all good and we should use the forum to figure out how to sample it all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.