Fly Fishing Forum banner

Honeymoon in Aug, where to go?

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  arubaman 
#1 ·
Also posted on Reel-Time, hope that isn't a problem. I'll check through old threads to see if I can find helpful info but I kind of have a specific info request so figured I'd ask. I'm getting married in mid August and we are trying to decide on where/when to honeymoon. We are on our own paying for the wedding and honeymoon so we aren't looking for the ritzy-est place around but still want to have a nice, relaxing, memorable trip. We've looked into a few places around Carib but have kind of always come to the planning dead-end that Aug/Sept being prime hurricane season, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to plan such a big trip to that area in that period.

So our questions are:
Would later in the fall, early Oct or Nov, be a better time for storms? I am busy at work the second half of Oct into Nov, but early Oct and later Nov shouldn't be a problem getting away. We'd be ok with bumping the trip til later after the wedding if it would mean a much smaller chance of having hurricane issues.

And are there certain parts of the Carib that wouldn't be in much danger of getting hit by a storm in the Aug/Sept window? She would prefer we go sooner after the wedding than later.

She genuinely enjoys fishing and we probably would like to get out w/ a guide one day and probably fish on our own once or twice DIY, so a location with decent fishing would be a quasi-requisite. Just looking for some thoughts on locations with a decent balance of fishing and stuff for the lady, and thoughts on the hurricane implications. Thanks for checking and sorry for the long post. Here's a pic of her hooked up w/ a jack down in Ascension Bay last April. She can even row a driftboat, I'm a lucky guy. :D

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes you are indeed a lucky guy, congrats.

Have you looked into Bermuda? Nice in August. Not a huge FF destination but there is game to be found for sure, a few big bones around Somerset and all the bluewater game. The island itself is wonderful and you can lounge on the south side beaches which are among the most beautiful anywhere.

Then you can do Turks and Caicos in the winter.

#3 ·
Hi edsly42
First congrats on your forthcoming wedding.
You are correct about your assumptions re storms and hurricanes. However the hurricane season stretches right through to the end of October and I was even evacuated from the Keys a few years ago in November.
I try to only fish in the main part of the tropics from November through May.
Having said all that, the southern most part of the Caribbean is south of the hurricane belt and does not get hit too bad even if there is a storm nearby, always to the north.

The only place I know where the fishing is good is Los Roques in Venezuela. There are a lot of reports from there on this board.
It is not luxurious accommodation but I imagine it could be extremely romantic for something like a honeymoon particularly if both partners enjoy fishing. It is a world class fishery. With no big hotels, accommodation is in Posadas which can be very comfortable with great food as most places are owned by Italians.
I have fished there many many times.

Search for some of the Los Roques reports and if you need some further info let me know.

Pete

#4 ·
Thanks.

Thanks for the suggesting Juro and Pete.
Juro, I would think Bermuda would right in the middle of most hurricane paths. Is your suggestion based on hoping for no storms or am I wrong in my assumption? Someone else suggested just getting travel insurance and hoping for the best. Maybe Bermuda would fall under that mentality?

Pete, ideally we could wait til November or later, but she is anxious to go sooner than later, closer to the wedding. Thanks for the Los Roques suggestion, I'll check it out and see what she thinks.

She has suggested Hawaii, obviously out of the hurricane zone but, from what I've seen, not much of an inshore flyfishing spot. Maybe Baja Mexico as another non-Carib destination, although the current drug war situation has me a bit leery of planning something in Mexico. Ideally I can talk her into going a little later in the fall. Thanks again guys.

#5 ·
Looks like you're right, but only three hurricanes are reported to have occurred there in August since 1609...

http://www.bermuda-online.org/climateweather.htm

Depends on how lucky you feel :)

I was there in August once and it was gorgeous but that's not much of a sampling. The main reason I suggested was August is too hot in some places.

Again, good luck.

#8 ·
I've read the same thing about bones in HI, but my impression is it's a limited and pretty technical fishery and only at Oahu? If we end up there, I'll probably try and do it regardless, but it seems like most places in the Carib have a more accessible variety of inshore fish available. Which is why I'm trying to figure out how to make it work in the Carib. Thanks

#11 ·
You take a chance on hurricanes from August till end of October. The odds are still in your favor. I have been fishing Inagua for a few years and the guy we fish with kept talking about how good the fishing was during the summer. I kept asking about hurricanes and he kept saying "Been here over 50 years and have not seen one yet". So, when fishing there Feb 2008 we dicide to go down August 2009. August 2008 Inagua gets a direct hit by Ike, catagory 4. I am having to cancel the August trip this year but its not because of hurricanes. I figure the odds would be even more in my favor now.

Sorry to get off topic but if you decide to go in August you will be taking a chance but the odds are in your favor. Here is a site you can go to and check out the hurricane history for all the Carribean. It looks pretty scary when you first view it but its the hurricane history for over 150 years and tropical storms show up also.

http://stormcarib.com/climatology/freq.htm

#12 ·
My island :hihi: would not be the perfect flyfishing destination if it's the fishing you are going for. But if it's just a couple of times wading and trying to get a bone to the business end of your fly rod....

It is a good place for honeymooners and defintely no chances of a hurricane surprising you on the beach.

Good luck.

#14 ·
Hi, if you are concerned about getting damaged... Yes, Aruba is very save. I lived there for 20 years and my parents still live there. For what I know about the past 30+ years never a hurricane realy passed on the Island and it never caused deaths or injuries.
Of course a depression/storm or hurricane elsewhere in the caribean can always spoil the weather a bit, but if it's up to me I would say it is the best zone of the entire caribean to be.

You can always sent me a message if you want more info on it, ciao,
Sander

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.