Fly Fishing Forum banner

Midge fly swap

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  SDHflyfisher 
#1 ·
Yesterday Brad asked about the possibility of a swap of small flys. How about it, is anyone else interested? If people are I'll meister it.

#6 ·
Groundrules for this swap:

Due date: March 7, 2003 If they are not in by then the swap will be closed without them.

Size: #18 or smaller, like Jim I have problems with small flys,which was my reason for hesitation on starting this swap.

The fly will be photographed and posted here so don't send in a fly that you want kept secret.

# of flys: Lets leave this one open till Monday. If the number of participantsis 6-8 I'd say tie one for every participant, >8 tie six and I'll mix and match sending six back to each participant.

I'll send my address out via PM with a copy of instructions next week.

#10 ·
Sean, if two people tie the same pattern its doubtful that they will end up looking like the same fly. Last year I ran a trout fly swap that had a number of pheasant tail nymphs in it. None of those were the same but they all will catch fish under different conditions.

#11 ·
update

Just to update everyone, the participants in this swap are:

Brad
JimW
DFix
Moosestang
SDHFlyfisher
Frenchcreek
John Desjardins

Due date: March 7, 2003 If they are not in by then the swap will be closed without them.

Size: #18 or smaller
# of flys: 6
My address will be pm'd to everyone today.

#13 ·
midges, + made today

John, and whoever, even though I am not offically in the fly swap, I thought that today I would try and tie something. I tied on size 24 to size 28, they didn't come out too bad, if John sends me his address I will send them to him. Dropped 18 of them on a brown rug took me 2 hours too find them all, they are pretty small.:( Sending a picture of them so you will get the idea. Tried with an old digital camera, couldn't really get them in focus.:D

Attachments

#16 ·
Barbed Wire

I tied up my half dozen Barbed Wire in size 24. They will be in the mail Monday. Does anyone use Yong flies? They would have made the SBD swap and the midge swap. They are without a doubt the most effective midge pattern on heavily fished water. They were developed by Yong "Andy" Kim for tailwaters like the South Platte and San Juan. I fished next to Andy on the San Juan and his clients out fished us 10 to 1 using those flies. After that I tied some up and learned first hand how big fish chow all day on size 28 flies. I will throw some in just for kicks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.