Fly Fishing Forum banner

CDC & Biot emerger

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  John Desjardins 
#1 ·
I got a chance while stuck in a hotel durring a blizzard last to sit down and tie a few of these.

Hook: any midge hook is suitable. I used a #18 TMC 2487bl on the first fly and a #22 TMC 101 on the second

Thread: color to suit

Body: Goose Biot, soaked in water to allow easier tying. If you tear the biot off the quill you will see a dimple at the base of it . to get a segmented look (top fly) tie in the biot with the dimple towards the hook eye. For the look of a quill body (bottom fly) reverse the dimple.

wingcase & wing: CDC

Thorax: Peacock Herl

Tying instructions:

Wrap a base of thread, tie in the Biot and then wind the thread forward to where you want the abdomen of the fly to end. Wrap the biot forward that tie it off. Tie in 2 plumes of CDC, then the Peacock herl. Wind the thread and then the peacock herl forward. Tie off the peacock herl, fold the CDC over the thorax, tie it down and then whip finish the thread. cut the CDC plume to a suitable length.

See less See more
#6 ·
Dave, it won't be long now. :)

John, It does have the general shrimp shape. But I'd have to rethink the materials to turn this into a shrimp imitation the biots I've used aren't long enough to tie a #4 or 6 fly . Maybe a quill body, percary or Moose hair.

Juro, Thanks I sure hope the fish don't see the flys that size.

Brad, Yup, I managed to make it back to the hotel on Tuesday night and then spent Wednesday stuck in a hotel room with the vise tying. Had to make up for it on Thursday working a double shift. It was interesting to contrast the Colorado storm with an east coast storm.

The Colorado storms have ~ 1/3 the number of people plowing public roads with the attitude that "it will melt in a couple of daysso we only need to open up 1 lane on this side street" while on the east coast its a compulsive rush to keep every last inch of the road clear with the expection that an artic clipper will freeze everything into a brick like consistency if you don't clear it NOW.

On the east coast you always have someone on tv standing in front of a beach talking about the tide & storm surge while in Colorado it's the avalanche danger.

Most interesting was watching the weathermen giving instruction on how to shovel "heavy" snow. :chuckle:

More blizzard flys will be posted in time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.