Fly Fishing Forum banner

Jungle-cock to Indian-crow feathers

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Steelheader69 
#1 ·
Does anyone know a good source for exotic feathers? I am looking for jungle-cock eyes; indian crow and toucan feathers without having to take out a second mortgage. :)
I want to buy from the U.S.A; mostly because of import taxes.
Please post any information to lead me in the right direction.
Thanks
Mayflyman

#2 ·
(IMO) - most, if not every online feather shop will have skins graded by number. Really nice start in the over $100 per, lesser, lower. We're reasonably fortunate to have several shops as well as outfitters like Kittery Trading Post, Blue Northern (banner ad here), Concord Outfitters (same), etc., as well as eBay and several online merchants.

I have no personal favorite, so as to not pit any one versus another, I defer to your search button.

#3 ·
Jungle cock is pretty easy to find, and if you contact one of our sponsors you can get personal service from the awesome people working at these shops.

Indian crow on the other hand... you might consider imitation Indian crow, which is fairly common and does the trick. Not sure what bird they are from but they are shaped similarly and you get a bag stuffed with them for a few bucks. I use them for shell backs on small prawn patterns for early steelhead.

Real Indian crow is hard to find, but for any rare off-the-beaten-path materials you should try Castle Arms in Springfield MA, Bob Marriotts in Orangethorpe CA, and Hunter's in New Boston NH, Quality Fly Fishing in Port Angeles WA - for starters.

Are you tying some classic salmon flies?

#4 ·
Yes, I am tying classic salmon flies...
I caught my first salmon a week ago and I'm hooked.. (uuugh, bad pun)
It was a 33 inch, 18 pound coho. :)
It was my first outing with my new Orvis Silver-Lable 9-wt.

#5 ·
I have the ultimate place for you to get almost all the feathers you're looking for in the US and fairly cheap. Can you say EBAY?!?!?!?!. I bought 3 pkgs of jungle cock for $40. Each pkg had about 100 medium/large jungle cock naiils. Alot cheaper then paying the 60 cents a piece youu'd pay in Cabela's. Youu'll find alot o US guys posting this stuff too. Found one guy who's selling alot of rare exotic feathers on there, but he's iin Singapore and kind of shady. So far Ii've been pleased with everything Ii've bought. Just make sure you see a picture FIRST!!! If you can't see the product you may not get what you paid for.

Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.