Fly Fishing Forum banner

North Monomoy- South Beach-5/20-21

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  flydoc 
#1 ·
My first session of the Fishing The Cape Advanced school began yesterday in the morning. I had one student, who happened to be a great flyfisherman named Dave Seybold, who is an outdoor author and editor and has several books on Hunting and Fishing Anthologies. Great guy and great company. Thursday morning we went to Morris Island just to work on his casting. He had a boat charter in the afternoon. He caught a nice 32 incher off Morris Island and some schoolies. Then today we took the 8 am Rip Ryder to North Monomoy since he wanted to see it. I warned him that it was very windy and overcast but we went anyway. I did some scouting and the tide was early incoming and we saw NO fish whatsever. Tony Biski confirmed later that it might be early for North Monomoy. After a lunch on NM we took the ferry to South Beach and spent the rest of the afternoon on the Ocean side catching fish after fish...Mostly small but several in the mid twenties. The swells were really big, but the wind was dying down and the sun was up as we fished the late High and early outgoing. Finally met Bonfishmon and spoke with Dave Pearson at the end of the day. Bumped into Bill Stanton. on South with a SPINNING ROD. Have more info on the overnighter which I will post later.

#3 ·
Hello again Striblue! I was thinking of you Thursday afternoon all day after I quit in the morning to get back to my wife and daughter for the wake up call. I could only hope that as the weather got better in the PM that your odds would turn in your favor and they did! Good to finally meet you in person. Maybe we'll get to fish together at some point. Overall, we had a great time on the Cape. I fished Morris Island twice and did well on Saturday morning right in front of the stairs. All small fish. Headed North with the family to Truro to scout the opening of Pamet River. I think that is what it was called. Looks very fishy! Saw a carcass from what must have been a 20+ lb. bass. Some kids were digging for sand eels at loe tide and had a buckle full! Many were six inches long!

Thanks Juro for the advice on Stonehorse. Looked into many possibilities including the Tides and ended up at Hankercheif Shoals as Matt was very accommadating. It's the motel next door and is under the same ownership. Rooms have been redone recenyly and very clean. Three nights for less than one night stay in Chatham with King Size beds and an attaching room for my daughter! Also met Arthur Roberts from Vermont who was fishing an Atlantis at Morris Island. Greatr fellow whom I hope to fish with again.

Had a great time at the Maritime Festival in Chatham on Saturday. They had a collection of species from the deep on ice in a dory, including a bluefish, but was not able to acquire a keeper striper!

Phil Sheffield

#5 ·
Striblue - you had to squeel on me about the spin rod! Last minute decision Thurs night to run down to the Cape Fri for beach stickers and fish for the first time this year. Keith gave me a heads up the wind was over 15, and there was no sun, so decided to hike and spin the outside of So Beach. In hindsight, flyrod would have been fine. Wanted to try to spot migrating pods on the outside, but with no sun, and the wind, couldn't see anything. At one point (about 30 min hike south on the outside, saw about 70 birds crashing the water (out of reach of course), but manged to pick up 3 even tho casts fell about 80 feet short of the action. Those birds worked that one area for close to 1/2 hour. As striblue says, surf was BIG. Water temp on the inside was very warm.

Have to do yard work, etc most of the long weekend, but will be driving out on Nauset for a while very early Sat and Sunday. If interested, PM me. Hope to fish much more this year than last.

#6 ·
Bill, I squeeled on you since I knew that would get you to post. Pretty sneaky of me don't you think? Good report... With big fish pods mixed in with little fish pods, you just never know what might hit during the spring migration. Hope to see you again on South.

#7 ·
Thanks for the report. Glad you had some fun in the surf!

Morris seems to be holding some nice fish. I got a nice one yesterday and then the crowds decended. 2 guys walked right on top of us and began casting :mad:

Kind of a drag when you have to stop fan casting because someone decides to pull in 15 feet next to you!

#9 ·
Skunked again....

Went out Sat. AM on the 8 AM Rid Ryder with Fishhawk and the trio from Rhode Island.....Hiked all the way down to the tip of South Beach then back up to the pick-up spot and a bit beyond, stopping and casting (mostly with a baby bunker pattern on a 350 grain sink-tip; switched later to the intermediate with clouser, then sand eel) along the way. Saw tons of seals (including a couple real close up on the beach), but only one bite...didn't set the hook fast enough, but must have been a blue from the condition it left my clouser in after such a brief encounter. OHM dumped some 20 beachcombers not twenty feet from me at one point (thanks, guys). Ran into Stiperstripper with his Atlantis, who was having only slightly better luck than me. Didn't get out yesterday (gotta do the chores sometime!), but am planning for at least 2 of the 3 days over the long weekend. May consider picking up an Atlantis in the meantime after seeing it in action...:eyecrazy: :whoa:
Shep

#11 ·
Sand eels

On Saturday I was fishing a Sedotti Slammer (herring imitator) for a half an hour at this one spot in Pleasant bay.

Score with the Slammer on the line = 0 fish

I tied on a yellow over white clouser in the same spot and I started hooking up every 5-10 casts.

Herring patterns were not the fly of choice in Pleasant Bay this weekend.

That being said - I did catch my biggest fish on the Slammer.

#12 ·
Hawk- guess I'll have to stick close to you next time- without crowding you, of course:hehe:
I'll be the one blurting out various expletives as I try to "perfect" the double haul (read- trying to LEARN the double haul).

Juro- help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope!:( :( :(
Shep

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.