Fly Fishing Forum banner

But Are They Real Worm's?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  SDHflyfisher 
#1 ·
FROM THE DESK OF THE BUG DOCTOR - OFFICE OF WIGGLE AND SQWIRM - N.W. QUAD

Good day,
Chironomids are " Non-biting " midge's from genus Chironomus. This is a "Stillwater" Trout's main food source! The larve are a "worm like" burrower ranging in color from light green, olive, to brown and red. The later being Chironomus Plumosus, known as the "Blood worm", but NOT a true worm!
This Chironomids color comes from the high amount of Hemoglobin that allows it to live in the Oxygen poor silt at the Lake bottom. When these midges pupate ( as quickly as 2 to 3 days ) they do so in the silt, then float to the surface as adults ranging in size from 1/32 to 1/2 inch. Adults have 2 wings and are colored brown, black, or green.
If you use "Blood worms" it is my opinion that your spot in FFH is secure, regardless of any other faults you might have.
T.B.D.

#2 ·
Who cares what a "snob" thinks!

As long as it is artificial, and is considered a "legal" fly (Read the regulations of "fly" by your conservation dept./regs for "fly fishing only" water), and as long as it catches trout, does it REALLY matter?
I always thought that fishing was supposed to be fun, and consist of catching fish, rather than trying to "define" the act!

BobK

#4 ·
I'm not blaming the "Doctor"....

My argument was not made against YOU, Bug Doc! My argument is against the "snobs" that cast aspersions and derogatory remarks on anything "subsurface" (dry fly "purist"), any fly that uses synthetic materials (but I notice they LOVE nylon or antron), ad nauseum. (By the way, what animal does Antron come from?)

:hehe:

I also notice these guys use modern lines rather than "woven strands from a horse's tail, or silk lines, and they use nylon or FC leaders rather than "gut" (silk).

Also, some of these characters look down on egg patterns - even though they are effective.

I also notice most of these characters going fishless, while everyone around them catches fish, but use the "purist excuse" to explain their poor luck. They even manage to try their best to maintain a smug look, even though they are really seething inside:chuckle: :chuckle:

BobK

#5 ·
Are any of those types of fly fisherman left ?

I thought they past away 20 -30 years ago. :confused:

The old fellows I met on the NY Catskill and NJ fly fishing holy waters 40 years ago.

PM Out

P.S. Bobk your getting ornery I can tell with all of this bad weather snow and ice and more on the way. Get out and fish soon is my advice. I looked at the lake erie water temps and they are still in the 30s. Good Luck !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.