Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pros/Cons of This ???

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  grego 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Grego

That looks like a winner to me but like everyone says, "try before you buy" (I didn't but was still pleased with my WST).

If you trawl the various boards where folks do a lot of fishing from yaks, Ocean Kayak and Cobra get very high points in the popularity stakes. The gear and electronics that some guys pack on these yaks is unbelievable

#3 ·
I love my OK Frenzy. It has suited me well for going on its 3rd season now. I really like the SOT style. Easy in and out. Only wish it was longer so it was a little faster. You're boat is what I probably would be looking at, or something similar.

Nick

#5 ·
Fred,
I beg to differ. I'm not totally Nuts:tsk_tsk: . My SOT is as stable as any kayak I've been in. I can stand on it (for fun, not for fishing) and I've taken it in the surf. Now that's a blast...riding 4-5 waves in the yak. Wish it would get warm here for more than 15 hours!

Nick

#6 ·
Nick, I must ammend my 'view,' you make a

good point. Not totally ..... but lets see 24 hours in a day, on the water in/on (still not sure which is right) for 12 hours .... so 'half nuts?';)
fe

Actually what I can't invision (thinking safety here) is being dressed in waders of some sort (or a wet suit??), rod, reel, paddle, other equipment and trying to get/keep something the size of a striper under control.

One armed paper hanger stuff.:hehe:

#9 · (Edited)
Grego, never having seen anyone on this type

of craft, let alone fishing from one what type of outerware do you guys favor. Thinking the occational dunking, spray, etc. Do most of the fellows ware a wet suit for warmth/protection?
fe

Amend my post to add: If any of you folks have 'in action' pictures of your fishing out of Yak's many of us would love to see them.
fe

#10 ·
Fred,
I wear my waders right in the yak. Fishing from it is a breeze, just like any yak. Getting out of it is WAY easier than other kayaks. I have never dumped my yak while fishing, but I have while just paddling around. It turns right over and you can hop back on piece of cake.

As far as water getting in...In a normal yak, if water gets in you have to Pump it out. In mine, if water goes in, it just goes back down the scupper holes in the bottom. If you don't mind wearing waders, you have no problems getting wet.

I don't think I have any pictures of me in my yak, but I'll get one taking next time I'm out.

Nick

#14 ·
I think I've seen this on the cover of a magazine??:hehe:

#16 ·
DFix said:

Nick - was that magazine "Gartside Imitator", "New Hampshire Googan", "Float Toy Times" or "Vacation Silliness" :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

Grego - BTW - how's your new job??? - give an email shout. Thanx.

Gartside is strictly a Giraffe man; a Zebra is something Completely Different!

AlphaTech is good; a bit more busy, but I'm doing some new & intersting stuff! Plus I eat at the Burlington Mall A Lot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.