Fly Fishing Forum banner

Info on Costa Rica?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  teflon_jones 
#1 ·
Anybody ever fished down along the west coast there? I'll be down there in a few weeks in a little town called Tambor.

#2 ·
I've fished down there quite a bit, but I've never been to Playa Tambor. It looks like you'll be on the inside of the Nicoya peninsula, so the surf should be minimal.

I don't really fish the Pacific coast much anymore because unless you're looking for bluewater, there really isn't much going on. If you get lucky and the sardinas are in, you can expect some great topwater action with the jacks, but most of the snook have long since been eaten, and the roosterfishing has never panned out for me.

Things may be different in Playa Tambor, so I don't want to rain on your parade too much, but for a fishing vacation you're a lot better off on the other coast.

That area's generally very safe, but petty theft is an issue everywhere down there, so keep your eyes peeled and don't leave anything in your car.

#3 ·
Thanks for the insight. I'm a hardcore angler with a lot of time in remote destinations so not worried about light fingers. Keep your gear close to your pillow!

I did 2 weeks in the Bahamas already this year after bones and killed it. I'm thinking of getting my first sail on the fly. We'll see!

This destination just worked out due to a buddy with a friend that could get me free lodging. Fishing is just a bonus!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.