Fly Fishing Forum banner

Inflatable

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 ·
I finally got the chance to break away from the farm for a day, yesterday. I inflated the inflatable, and went to Quonochotaug Pond in Charlestown RI. I had no problem launching it. Rowed about halfway up the pond. Rowed into a westerly wind, incoming tide. The wind was atleast 15 knots, with a chop on the pond. Stopped in at the RIMS property to look over the Piping Plover problem. The whole beach is roped off with 2 walkways for beach access, walking only. Terrible situation. Each year those birds are taking more, and more of the beach for nesting, I wonder if they , the USFW, would close the Charlestown Breechway area, if a pair of birds decided to set up house there. Enough said.
Inflatable, surprised that there is not more inflatables around. Having a kayak, and having an inflatable I have decided I would rather have an inflatable.
Inflatable: light
easy to row
equipment easy to reach
very stable
able to stand for sight fishing, even in a 15 knt wind
can pack in the trunk of a compact car
plenty of room for a cooler, and the kitchen sink
able to use a small outboard
Disadvantage: appears to drift faster than a kayak.
Kayak: Light to medium heavy
unstable
restrictive movement, unable to stand
too low in the water
no room for equipment
paddle always in the way
Advantage: easy to maneuver, and faster
which are the only advantages

In my opinion an inflatable is a better fishing platform than a kayak

See less See more
#3 ·
Ron, It is the SeaEagle 6, It is about 6 ft long, It has an inflatable floor, and also a plywood one to place over that. It is real stable, even an old man like me can standup in it. I really like the fact that I can carry a lot of gear. It will take 3 people, but that is crouding it. It will support 650 lbs. It is not as manueverable as a kayak, but to be able to carry a lot of gear, and be able to standup, means more to me, I am not looking to race anyone, just want to be able to get out far enough to hit those schools that are 2 casts offshore. Its type is a raft, and reasonably priced.

#4 ·
Yaaaaaaay, Arthur !!! ;D

Glad to hear you've taken the "tub" :) on it's maiden voyage. I'll admit, I had my doubts about that until I saw the wood bottom. Glad to hear the farm is coming on-line. I'll do the rest of up to speed through email.

Again, congratulations. I'm happy you finally got out. Dave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.