Fly Fishing Forum banner

A more secure casting platform...

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Doc Duprey 
#1 ·
Any suggestions for a knee brace or other type of support to make a casting platform on the bow of a center console more secure and stable in a chop? Something like the braces you often see in a drift boat?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

-Doc

#2 ·
Doc,
Dave Peros had one made, I think at Kent Fab. I'll check with him on where and how much and try to find you a pic. It was mounted on the forward casting platform and with a single tube protruding up from the deck, it had a tubular rack that would cradle you as you stepped into it. Very nice rig, he's a guide and was allways concerned for his clients in the chop. He has a Maritime Skiff, which has a bottom not unlike a Whaler and rolls some in the rips he likes to fish. Then again ALL BOATS roll in the rips!
I'll get back to you!

#6 ·
Guys,

Many thanks for the suggestions. I am following them up for a possible addition in time for the fall run down here in Joisey. Capt. Ray's setup looks sweet, and I think I have seen one like Capt. Dave's on a boat in Chatham last season, and really liked it. Still more research to do, but even that is fun. :cool:

Best regards,

-SPD

#8 ·
Rob,

I had a series of e-mail exchanges with the folks at Hyde, and I think it is going to be the solution. However, I want to get a better feel for mounting the bases and just how stiff the hatchcovers that make up the casting deck are before I "pull the trigger".

I appreciate the input, and will let you know if it works.

Best regards,

-Doc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.