Fly Fishing Forum banner

Guess no one fishes for trout!

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Lefty 
#1 ·
Nothing posted in the trout thread, must be the time of year. Unless you're in the southern hemisphere, trout country's pretty frigid. Boy wouldn't it be cool to be wading a New Zealand stream right now, stalking a huge trout in gin clear water with shorts and sandals.

That's it, I'll be calling on Conrad Black...

#4 ·
With the return of the Striper (barely) and the continued drought we are experiencing, you're right- nobody is fishing for trout. I got a brookie spot I'm dying to return to, but with the water so low every year I go to the salt. Maybe this year but things look bad already.

Terry

#6 ·
Terry,

Well I'd have to say that I'd polietely disagree with you, as I think the striper has returned, especially when you consider its status 20 years ago. From the projections that I have seen, the numbers of stripers will still continue to rise for another couple of years, even in the face mortality figures the same as we have been at. After a few years the numbers will decline below what we experienced a few years ago(when it was considered very good) if the high exploitation rate is maintained. If the exploitation rate is brought back down (F=0.31)the levels will also rise for a few years and then decrease, but to a level that is comparable to the stock size we had a few years back. I'm not saying that there will be huge numbers of large fish, but more fish in total off our coast. Funny thing with size limit regulations - whatever size you set it at seems to be the maximum size you consistently see, as anything bigger usually gets removed. With regulation changes bumping the harvestable size up - there should be a slight decrease in the exploitation rate, maintaining good numbers of fish off the coast.

I hope we get some snow, as two years of low precipitation would be a bummer. Some weathercaster mentioned that we were going through the La Nina weather phenomenon, which results in a change in the weather pattern. The result (according to him) is less snow during the winter, but supposedly more precipitation later in the season.

Have a good day,

Pete

#7 ·
>Well I'd have to say that I'd polietely disagree with you, >as I think the striper has returned, especially when you
>consider its status 20 years ago. From the projections that

You're right, there are a lot more Striper back relative to 20 years ago. Good point. I'm not pretending to understand the health of the stocks overall. I was just making a general statment based on the alarming words of the CCA and other groups lateley. I'm afraid we are on the verge of another collapse. Especially since the state of Massachussetts dropped the limit from 34 to 28" at the kick off of last season. Mass. takes the majority of the stripers caught (I think 30%) so that drop in keeper size could be tough on the stock. I hope you are right and I'm wrong.

>With regulation changes bumping the harvestable
>size up - there should be a slight decrease in the >exploitation rate, maintaining good numbers of fish off the
> coast.

Sounds good to me.

> I hope we get some snow, as two years of low >precipitation would be a bummer. Some weathercaster
> mentioned that we were going through the La Nina weather >phenomenon, which results in a change in the
> weather pattern. The result (according to him) is less >snow during the winter, but supposedly more precipitation >later in the season.

Yup. Lately, all we get in New England are the clipper type storms from the west. Very few Nor'easters that suck in moisture from the sea and dump the big snows. And to make matters worse we get dry springs and summers too. Tough for trout.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.