Fly Fishing Forum banner

Here we go ready or not!

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  tight-lines 
#1 ·
Ok, I think we are ready!
Me the Miss's 2 backpacks, 3 fly rods, and about 225 painstakenly tied flies.
Belize here we come! :smokin:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Good luck Brother!
I just got back from the Bahamas .... wish I was just heading out!
It's addictive for sure.:)
have you seen Craig Mathew's DVD on bonefishing Belize? good stuff on flies, presentation & underwater footage. :D

FWIW: in Eleuthera, a size 6&8 Turneffe crab, tan rabbit silileg gotcha, and #8 bonefish bitters were all that were needed for flies. (I have 5 boxes of flies that I'll sell cheap.... He He He) :Eyecrazy:

#6 ·
report from Belize!

Well,
We made it back alive!!! Our 2 1/2 week do it yourself belize adventure went off with many a trill a lot of high water and more than a few good cocktails!
On our first day I had the horse I was riding try to roll over on me and durring my quick exit I managed to break my ring finger on my stripping hand (left):eek:

After cutting my weddung ring off w/ a rusty hack saw I was able to splint it w/ some clothes pins and get it taped up. It made casting difficult especially the double haul by I learned to cope. Then came the rain every river in the country rose and then flooded so my plan for river Tarpon and snook was shot. To add insult to injury as the rivers entered the ocean it created a 200' line of brackish muddy water along the whole coast (in Hopkins) so my plan to do some wading and kayaking was scuttled.

The second week we headed for Glovers reef w/ the promise of clearer skies and water unfortunately I contracted some wierd flu and spent the first two days w/ a 102 degree fever shivering in bed. Glovers is increadibly beutiful and the snorkeling was out of this world! The flats were a 3 1/2 mile kayak paddle from our island and after making the trip once I must admit I bairly had the energy to fish (damn flu). the last day one of the owners said they would take me out by boat and pick me up at a latter time. Great!, I could fish the rising tide in the morning this would be my shot!! As we headed for the island we ran over a large green piece of tarp which wraped itself around the prop kicked back the motor and broke the linkage. UGH!!!

Ok it's been a week maybe those rivers on the mainland have gone down and we'll just go after snook and tarpon. No such luck, we had to doge trees flowing down the swallon river upon our return. I did get out one morning w/ a local guide and fished the barrier reef. I caught a nice Jack and a permit and missed a bone. Then you guessed it ...it started to rain and everything just seemed to shut down. We did manage to find a nice school of bones in deeper water but could not get them to hit.

So there it is not what I had imagined but a great trip all the same mostly because of all the great people we met along the way. Oh and let's not forget those cocktails while discussing the worst rains in 20 years :chuckle:

I'm off to Alaska in three week I hope the report is a little better!!!!

Attachments

#7 ·
Well, it looks like you at least got 2 very nice fish! Nice report anyway. I hope your Alaskan trip goes better.

Where'd the splint on your ring finger go in the two photos? That could have been very painful if the line got wrapped around it and a fish started to run!

#8 ·
teflon_jones said:
Well, it looks like you at least got 2 very nice fish! Nice report anyway. I hope your Alaskan trip goes better.

Where'd the splint on your ring finger go in the two photos? That could have been very painful if the line got wrapped around it and a fish started to run!
By the last few days of the trip I was able to keep the tape and splint off.
To be honest I was more worried about the handle hitting it on one of those ripping runs :whoa:

#9 ·
Dude -

Some might think you to be the harbinger of hard luck, but I will do a fishing trip with you anytime with your optimism.

You have a great attitude and despite the knocks you made the best of it and that's a hell of a jack, man you must have had to take a break after that bad boy.

What did your wife say about hacksawing the ring? Gold melts together real nice I bet you won't even be able to tell.

#10 ·
it's all good

The little mrs wasn't too upset :tsk_tsk:
To be honest by the time we got back to our cabin that finger was about 3x's it's normal size and the ring was coming off even if I had to chew it off! The owner of the place was more nervous than anyone he held the ring w/ vise grips while I cut. Not to many guys get to cut off there wedding rings on there honeymoon.

I think your right about the ring although my Dr. back home said I better wait a while before getting it resized. He also said I did a great job setting it then followed with "better lucky than good" :chuckle:

Optimism, well I've been through the ringer enough to know you make the best of it if you possibly can. I'm not a thrill seeker but a little adventure is good for the soul. Hell, I could have easily gotten caught under the horse it was close.

Trip's, well that kayak trip you guy's were planning sure sounds interesting!!!

And yes that Jack was awesome!!! could almost see the end of my backing till I got him turned around. This was my first real saltwater trip w/ a flyrod so that fish was extra special. The permit was cool too at least I know I can make the cast when it counts.

thanks for all the good advise can't wait to give it another shot!... Andros?mmm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.