Fly Fishing Forum banner

How do you store your flies?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  flyfisha1 
#1 ·
What's the general means by which everyone stores their flies? i.e. foam-lined box, loose in a divided plastic box, etc. I have one of those Cabela's cordura lined boxes that holds four divided plastic boxes, but I find that it's a pain keeping saddles straight on several of my larger flies. Small flies, i.e. sz. 4 and smaller, no problems.

#3 ·
flyfisha1,
A friend of mine told me that he saw a pretty simple, reliable and cheap solution for storing large saltwater patterns on a recent trip to the Bahama's.

Another guest at the lodge had taken a plastic VCR tape box, thrown out the video, cut himself a block of evafoam to size, glued it to the bottom of the box, and it securely held/protected his flies. You could even use a double sided adhesive tape to secure the foam block if you preferred.

Good luck, JB

#4 ·
Yaah, I did something along those same lines for my freshwater flies; used an Altoids box and adhered closed-cell foam inside. Very compact, and plenty of clearance for most of the flies I use in FW. I was trying to get away from foam (corrosion issue), but I haven't seen anything else that keeps the flies so stationary during storage. May have to go back to foam afterall...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.