Fly Fishing Forum banner

Lakes Erie and Ontario

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Puck 
#1 ·
I have never fished these waters. My ex just moved out to Erie PA with my son and I want to take him fishing. He has never flyfished but I woukld like to introduce him to it. I would appreciate any insight on how to approach the issue. ie.;sate laws and regulations, lisencing, cycles, times of year, need for water craft etc.

Thanks guys.

#3 ·
PM
Thanks for the site. I am having trouble finding the licensing regulations and jurisdictions for lake Erie. How does it work over there? Can someone with a NY lisence fish all over Lake Erie. Or is he limited to the NY waters? If so how is that defined?

Thanks Craig

#4 ·
Puck,

You will need a PA licence and probably a stamp as well. You don't want to mess with the PA game wardens.

Erie and Ontario are both outstanding fisheries. Find a creek that runs into them and more likely than not that creek will contain chrome. My advice to you would be to take a trip up there, talk to someone at a tackle shop, and give yourself time to figure it out.

Elk creek in PA is outstanding.

Dave

#5 ·
I know here in Wisconsin there's a small book that the DNR puts out every year. It has all the regulations and also a map of most of the trout streams highlighted by what limit category they fall under. They give them away in tackle shops. Perhaps there's something like that in PA.

Neil

#8 ·
For fishing in the tributaries and from the shoreline you need a liscense for the state you are in. Both PA and NY have non-resident liscense fees and trout/salmon stamps. As far as fishing
from a boat I don't know what the lisence requirments are.

There is no need for watercraft to go for steelhead or salmon unless you like to troll. They are in the tributaries and at the creek mouths from September till May. The fishing is hit or miss however depending on water levels and weather condintions. When it is hot it is hot, and when the streams are too low, too hot, frozen over, ect... it can be a long day.

#9 ·
Sleepy-

Thanks for your response. I noticed you are in Erie PA. My ex just moved there with my son. so to take him fishing I need to learn a new area.

He has never fly fished, but has seen me hook onto some nice trout in New Hampshire.

I would love to see him land a steelhead. I am sure he would need to change his pants afterward.

Can you recommend a good place for gear and flies. I am new and will start to tie my own this winter.

#10 ·
Puck

I wish I was closer, but I am 5 1/2 hours south. It is however my home steelhead waters because those steelies are the closest ones to where I live.

There are several sites to check out for reports and information: add fisherie.com to the one mentioned already steelheadsite.com

Here is a good fly shop to contact:
Folly's End Campground, Fly, Tackle & Bait Shop
8600 Avonia Road
Girard, PA 16417
Phone: 814.474.5730

Located on Avonia road (State Route 98) about one mile south of the Fairview Exit of Interstate 90, in the campground area, and beside Elk Creek.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.